Ruger KM77RP MK II, .223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Picked up this rifle yesterday, used with the box for $325. Boat paddle stock has some scuffs and the stainless has some wear/scratches. I thought not bad for the price.

Will a green scotch brite pad clean up the scratches without altering the look of the stainless? It needs a good cleaning and as long as I have it apart I might just go over it with the scotch brite pad. What do you think?

I have heard these rifles are quite accurate, does anyone have experience that they can share?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

rugnelli

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Ruger accuracy in my opinion is on par with all major brands. All my rifles shoot about as well as could ever wish for. I believe the shooter is much more likley to be the factor in accurate shooting rather than the rifle.

That said a Ruger is not a bad place to start!

I would not reccomend scotch brite pad. The wear on the brushed stainless blends in with time in my experience. I could see the scotch brite actually dulling the surface. It would looked more brushed and scratched and would not blend well. These rifles clean up easily and look great afterward.

Congrats, Good shooting-Steve

Yep. Me, too. I would live with the little scratches until a time that you wanted to sell the gun, and then, very lightly, buff the gun. By hand, it will be hard to get all the surfaces to look the same.

I've had three, (I think), M77's in .223. Two were/are sporters, (sold one), and one is a varmint model. All three are unbelievable tack-drivers.

Good gun.

WAYNO.

Thanks 6mmsl and Wayno for the replies.

Wayno, when you say lightly buff, what are the specifics to this?

Also, there are a couple areas that have a light rust. Is 0000 steel wool and oil with light rubbing the way to get rid of it?

Thanks again,

rugnelli

rugnelli":21kvc8ry said:
Thanks 6mmsl and Wayno for the replies.

Wayno, when you say lightly buff, what are the specifics to this?

Also, there are a couple areas that have a light rust. Is 0000 steel wool and oil with light rubbing the way to get rid of it?

Thanks again,

rugnelli

1st of all, the light rust...On stainless, I do nothing more than use a brass brush, or toothbrush, with oil, on the spots. Otherwise, you'll have a shiny patch where the rust was.

As far as buffing the whole gun to cover the scratches... I don't concentrate on an area, as that is what makes this work obvious. I do use scotch brite, but sparingly on the pressure, and buff in long strokes, never, concentrating on any one area or surface. This does not remove the scratches, but just blends them in a little.

WAYNO.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
If you'll take the barreled action out of the stock and test the buffing process on a part of the rifle hidden by the stock it will give you an indication of how it will look.