RUGER IN 264 WIN MAG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J. D. Moreguns

Bearcat
I am looking at a MKII S.S. in .264 win mag does anyone have any input on it. I already own a Winchester mod 70 pre 64 in the same cal. but it has been retired for many years.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Are you looking at the laminated or synthetic version? Either way there aren't many MkII's out there in 264 period. I have a ss/laminated MkII with factory checkering on it and absolutely love the rifle! I had to have the throat reamed because it would not chamber any factory loads in 140 grain. I had read somewhere that Ruger is notorious for short throats in the 264. A minor issue unless you are out on a hunting trip , need ammo , and the only ammo available is factory 140's.

I have done a little load work so far and it does shoot good but with more work it should do even better. Right now it will hold its own at about 1 to 1 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100. For an out of the box rifle (except the throat work) you won't hear me complain much.

Do you mind telling what the asking price is? With the limited production in this caliber a fella better jump on one if you want it or it could be some time before you find another.

Top is a 7mm-08 , bottom is a 25-06. The 264 wears a 30mm Weaver Classic Extreme 2-10x50mm with an illuminated German #4 crosshair. Deadly deer medicine!!! Have only taken 1 whitetail with it so far and it was about 200 yds. Not really fair with a 264 , and you know what the results were!

77_s_001.jpg

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Thanks Matt. I figured you'd be partial to the 25-06!! :D Shot one of my smallest 5 shot groups ever with that one!! Not bad when you can cover 5 with a dime at 100!! Those were 75 gr. V-max's as hot as I could get em going!

Here is my favorite though...

77/22 Mag with a 22'' Shilen match barrel and a replacement factory stock to match the "big brothers".

7722_Mag.jpg