Ruger Hunter Bisley 44 mag.pistlol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MK111

Bearcat
I picked a ANIB Ruger Hunter with Bisley grip off the Ruger Classified two weeks ago. Then I ordered a Weaver type scope mount from Brownell's and mounted a Tasco Red Dot.
Range report today with full loaded hunting load of 240gr lead bullets and Win 296. It shot great at 50 yrds around 2.0 inches.
I left my grandson who is 13 shoot it. He goes this is alittle scary. As the only pistol he has ever shot is his Walther P22 in .22LR. First shot at 50 yds off sand bags was 2 inches from my last shot and his second shot was 1.5 inches from the first. He shot a better two shot group than grandpa did. Must be the young eyes. With a little practice his first deer may be a handun deer. As we hunt out of my deer tower and will have a 50 yrd tops shot with a rest. We will see.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
You know, when you ponder a moment, an SA is a good gun for a kid to start out with even with big power on tap. Recoil/blast/etc. cannot force him to crank another shot off in a wild direction because it ain't cocked yet. Worst case he'll get a forehead bruise or something.

Much like how horsemen like SAs not so much for the "old west tie" as because if the horse startles after a shot and the rider grabs for something to hang onto with the off-hand, the sympathetic clamp reaction on the gun hand can't crank a round off.

gobe

Bearcat
Jim .... That's gotta be one of the best rationales I've ever heard for startng a kid out with a single action revolver! The ol' standard was learning shot placement rather than 'firepower', but you summed it up beautifully!

I started out with a bolt action 5-shot Remington .22, but mighta been better with a single shot. I date a little later than the, "Here's two bullets, son .... bring home two rabbits fer supper." time, but I'm a firm believer in 'shot-placement', not 'firepower'.

Latest posts