Ruger Hawkeye Pistol (.256 Win Mag)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
93635993.jpg

One series of pictures is worth a thousand words.

:D

flatgate

yep, closed breach...but there was still a "head space" to allow for openign and closing with a shell inserted...the dra back was after firing, the .256 could and would "jam" the breach from swinging out and /or the shell case from being extracted...(pressure & oil...) in the chamber casued LOTS of problems and issues...same went for other gun companies, not just a Ruger problem....I know,I dealt with the ammo company ( Winchester) back in the mid 70's when our shop chambered a few Dan Wessons revolvers (yes, revolvers, multiple chambers, all six shots...) for the .256 Win, and we had issues, ,,,,got together with Austin Behlert back then (may he rest in peace..) and he did the final 'vapor hone' on our cylinder chambers, and voila, no more problems with extraction.......only built a few, got written up in American Handgunner, and the "job": died a 'silent death.................oh well, another few moments of fame & glory......

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AFAIK, the only really "successful" (mechanically if not commercially) .256 Win chambered gun was the Marlin Model 62 "Levermatic" rifle. Neat little gun but a sales failure.

chet15

Hawkeye
Don't forget the TC contender. It works rather well with any cartridge, including the .256.
If only Ruger would have continued developing his single-shot pistols (originally Pre-Single-Six and Pre-Hawkeye), instead of shelving the idea in late '56 or early '57. He'd have beaten TC to that market by quite a few years! Maybe Warren Center is the one who expanded on WBR's idea, instead of truly starting fresh???
Chet15

JFB

Hunter
Thanks for all the information and history.

after looking at the loading diagram steps, and trying to justify NOT pursuing finding a Hawkeye, I though a different "design" for a ruger single shot pistol would be more along the lines of the #1. However, the break open action shown would have been something I would have like to seen.

americal

Hunter
WOW :!: :!: those are nice & different looking guns FLATGATE, wish Ruger had hung in there on that project :( I'm still amazed at the Hawkeye--my friend has one 803 I think :? has plum cy. frame mint cond. THANKS for photo-- funny how those ruger grips look right at home on the guns form 8) guns simple but cool.