Ruger Hawkeye in 222 Rem Uncatalogued ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I keep seeing this rifle advertised on GB. I've never played much with 222, but have always thought that it was an interesting cartridge.

How rare is this combination?

stanimals2

Bearcat
When I bought mine a couple of years ago they had never been cataloged in the USA. Mainly exported to countries like Great Briton where the cant own NATO rounds like the 223. Popular with their fox hunting crowd or so I have been told. There were supposed to only be something like 500 or so in the states the year I got mine

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Saw one yesterday at a local shop around the KC area. Don't remember the price but will pass on the shop info if anyone is interested. If it wasn't in the matte stainless I would have given it another look...

Thanks, I wasn't aware that Ruger did special productions for overseas markets.

Looks like its a pretty rare item stateside.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
There also have been a few of the Carpenter rifles showing up. They made about 2400 of them and the prices are starting to come down to reasonable enough to justifying shooting it.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
How many of these?

MVC-031S-1.jpg

picketpin

Buckeye
Does Ruger have a "small action" to build the 222 on or this a 222 in a full size 77?

I prefer things like the Sako and Cooper once a guy starts working with and shooting smaller cases.

Sort of reminds me of buying a 28 guage shot gun made on a 20 gauge frame.

For those not familar the 222 was the darling of BR circles for years before the advent of the PPCs and BRs. AT the time it held a vast majority of the accuracy records and it is a mild and inhierently cartridge.

It also predates the .223 and other than cheap will do anything a 223 will do. For reloading the longer neck very well may be a plus.

Jim: There was a Carpenter .222 on GD a week or so ago.

Ross

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I just bought a Ruger Mark II Carpenter 222 that was advertised in the classified section of this forum. It is NIB with all the original paperwork. Got it for under $600, which I thought was reasonable. Looks like a pretty gun. Can't wait to get her out!

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Ross,as for the Sako I have to agree on the small action.This heavy barrel L469 Vixen with a old Balvar 8A in 222 mag will shoot almost any load in the same hole at 100yds.I have the same thing in a sporter and it will do almost as well.

Sako.jpg

picketpin

Buckeye
So, is the Ruger bolt gun, either the Carpenter addition or the Hawkeye built on a smaller action or are they the same action as everything else with a little boolt face opening?

I like the 222 and my #1s are some of my favorite rifles, but they are a heavy rifle compared to a small Sako action or the Cooper.

I find it the ideal walk around varmint caliber and every one I've ever owned, including a Remington 788, shot really well.

It may not be as accurate as the PPCs with the short/fat concept but it certainly shoots well enough to kill varmints at most reasonable ranges.

It is also easy to load for with a plethera of data out there for use.

Ross

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Ross,

To me they look like any other short action Ruger. 99.9% sure the actions are the same as any other and has a similar barrel profile to any 223 , 243 , etc. and did not look like an ultralight barrel. I have seen these in the Carpenter , MkII and Hawkeye versions now and the only difference I can see is in the finishes. (except the fancier Carpenter)

Jeff

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Ross, there is no "tiny" action from Ruger, just short, long, and magnum. My .17Rem is built on the "tiny" Sako action. Some of you Sako guys will have to help me out on the right number for that action. It's one of my few non-Ruger rifles. Weighs about five pounds with one of those pencil thin 20" High Standard barrels on it.

Ross, I saw that carpenter on GB. I just hate to buy that "commemorative" and then shoot it. If the prices get lower, I may cave on it. I still have my heart set on a 1AB in "tripple-deuce".

Randy has one, or had one, but alas not enough Benjamins at my house at this time.

I'd love to find out how those Carpenters shoot if anybody who has one has shot his.

picketpin

Buckeye
Jimmy: The little action designed for the small cases with the case head size of the 17 Remington, 222 and 223 is the A1 Capital "A" Roman Numeral "I". For comparison the 30-06 action is the AIV.

I built my 17 Mach IV using one and a Douglas barrel and a McMillan stock. I have a factory Vixen in 222 and another in 222Mag.

Best one is a 17-222 a guy bought at a bank auction. He thought it was a 17 Remington and had a terrible time reloading for it and never managed to make any cases. I offered him my 17 Mach IV form die whch would work to take the 222 down to .20 and then on down to .17 caliber and explained how to fire form the shoulder. Guy was so bummed out he declined the offer and then called back a week later and sold me the gun for $200.

I think I'll have to be content with my AB in 223. Fun little rifle and a bit easier to find than one in 222. I do still have an "extra" non prefix AH in 222. One gets shot, a lot and the other sits in the shelf looking pretty.

I stopped at Buckhorn last time I was in Boise and they were using the 77/Hornet and making it into some small centerfire. Didn't get the particulars as it seems like a waste of a really good rifle.

My 17 Mach IV weighs under 5 pounds, scoped. THe original O"Brian .17 Mach IV, built on the small Sako action, weighs just a little over 4 1/2 pounds and looks like a tiny Weatherby Mk V. That's a fun one to play with.

Taker care

Ross

It would be nice if Ruger used a smaller action like Sako or CZ.

It hate to be the dummy in the class, is it safe for me to assume that the "Carpenter" is the wood stocked version?

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Here is my little one.(no pun intended) This was one of P.O.Ackley's personal rifles.A local gunsmith who was a personal friend of Ackley talked him out of it back in the early 60's.I have owned it since 1967.Sako L46 action,20" three groove Ackley barrel chambered in 17/222.Weight is also just under 5 lb with scope,overall length is just 38".Never get tired carring this one.About 3 lbs lighter than the Ruger MK11 222 .
P3130131.jpg

Ross,here is the loading data that came with it,how does it compare with what you have?
MVC-009S-2-1.jpg

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
Pressonregardless":1yuppi3f said:
It would be nice if Ruger used a smaller action like Sako or CZ.

It hate to be the dummy in the class, is it safe for me to assume that the "Carpenter" is the wood stocked version?

Not a dummy and you are safe to assume. :)

I figured that the "Carpenter" term would be referring to the wood stock, just didn't remember seeing that before.

Had a chance to fondle a CZ527 full stock rifle the other day in 22 Hornet, they use what they refer to as a "mini-mauser" action that was superb !!

Really nice, found out they are being run in the Hornet, .222 & .223.