Ruger Hawkeye in 222 Rem Uncatalogued ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stanimals2

Bearcat
Heavybarrell I found my box and it is the same as yours model 17845 stainless KM77RFP MKII only diff I see is my label is orange for what ever reason.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Heavy Barrel":3l4u88f6 said:
mcknight77":3l4u88f6 said:
2440 rifles made for "Carpenter Technology Corporation". Model KM77RP. Engraved (lazer etched). Zytel stock.

Now now many KM77RFP MK 11's.

There are lots of KM77RFP Mark IIs. That's the standard Zytel stock, stainless, 22" barrel. Ruger does not publish production numbers, so it's very hard to know how many in each chambering. Hence, until enough .222s come out so we can get a serial number range it's hard to estimate. Chad Hiddleson publishes the "Reference of Ruger Firearms" that is the best reference for models, numbers, and rarity estimates.

chet15

Hawkeye
Carpenter is the company that supplies the stainless steel and proprietary stainless to Ruger for their gunmaking.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Carpenter is the company that supplies the stainless steel and proprietary stainless to Ruger for their gunmaking.
Chet15

mcknight77

Blackhawk
And, for those who don't know Chet15 = Chad Hiddleson.

Now, for a brief commercial message (I won't make any money from this):

If you are interested in Rugers and want all your questions answered, and then some, you need a subscription to the Red Eagle News Exchange (also kniwn as RENE), published by Chad. He also has the "Reference", which, BTW, is going through an update and will be out shortly.

A PM to him will get you started.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
mcknight77":2z7sj2fi said:

If you are interested in Rugers and want all your questions answered, and then some, you need a subscription to the Red Eagle News Exchange (also kniwn as RENE), published by Chad. He also has the "Reference", which, BTW, is going through an update and will be out shortly.

I do subscribe and the information on the MK 11 in 222 is limited.The reason I had ask is because when I bought it out of curiosity I contacted Ruger.When I gave the ser.# to the nice lady,she told me they had no record of that ser.# in that configuration.I recieved the same answer two weeks later from a different person.That's why I ask.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Heavy Barrel":3f534dzu said:
mcknight77":3f534dzu said:

I do subscribe and the information on the MK 11 in 222 is limited.The reason I had ask is because when I bought it out of curiosity I contacted Ruger.When I gave the ser.# to the nice lady,she told me they had no record of that ser.# in that configuration.I recieved the same answer two weeks later from a different person.That's why I ask.

I posted the info so those folks who don't subscribe would have the info.

It sounds like you have two problems: not much info on the .222 and your rifle won't factory letter.

Did you think we'd have more info than the factory?

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
mcknight77":3dqumzd2 said:
Heavy Barrel":3dqumzd2 said:
mcknight77":3dqumzd2 said:

I posted the info so those folks who don't subscribe would have the info.

It sounds like you have two problems: not much info on the .222 and your rifle won't factory letter.

Did you think we'd have more info that the factory?

No my fault if it does not letter.Ruger made it,not me.Just thought someone might have some insight but I guess not.

MVC-031S-1.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
I believe Hawkeye28 here on RF is the one who found that most of those M77 Mark II's in .222 went through Little Crow in Minnesota. Maybe you can find that gun going through them.
The other gun talked about at the beginning of this thread is a "Hawkeye" rifle in .222. Davidson's got around 50 of these not too long ago....probably just as limited and made for the same reasons as the M77 Mark II in .222.
RARE RIFLES!!
Chet15

stanimals2

Bearcat
Funny I found one today at a local shop, meant to pick it up to see how it was marked and got to talking to thr owner and forgot. First one I ever saw blued, mine is the hawkeye stainless

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Pressonregardless":13y7laid said:
Thanks, I wasn't aware that Ruger did special productions for overseas markets.

I know Ruger makes a straight pull only version of their Mini 14 for use in GB and other Commonwealth countries, think it may be in 222 Remington also. No gas system, interesting work around the semi auto rifle bans.

chet15

Hawkeye
dfletcher":1c6cuard said:
Pressonregardless":1c6cuard said:
Thanks, I wasn't aware that Ruger did special productions for overseas markets.

I know Ruger makes a straight pull only version of their Mini 14 for use in GB and other Commonwealth countries, think it may be in 222 Remington also. No gas system, interesting work around the semi auto rifle bans.

Hadn't heard of a straight pull .222 yet. And as I understand it, the straight pull rifles in .223 and 7x62x39 have a gas port....its just plugged at Ruger before being shipped.
And yes, the M77RS Mark II in 7x64 Brenneke was another production gun sent overseas (then the unsold remnants were sold domestically).
I don't think Ruger would have too many issues these days with chambering a rifle in any caliber and for anybody...as long as the order is large enough.
Chet15

bigchillymn

Bearcat
I bought my M77 MK11 222, from Little crow shooting sports Mn, new in Dec of 08, serial No.792-13244. The label looks exactly like Heavy Barrels. I called Ruger shortly after I purchased the rifle to confirm the twist-rate, 1-9, which I found odd. Ruger found my serial number,confirmed the twist rate, and stated these were made to handle the heavier bullets, and were manufactured for shipment to either Canada or Europe.

Con

Bearcat
Regarding the Hawkeye in 222Rem. A few weeks ago I had a few PMs exchanged with an employee of the Australian distributor. In one PM he mentioned that the Hawkeye in 222 was one of their ideas or at least implied that they had some part to play in their production or delivery to Australia. I assume he meant the stainless version which we can get here ... unsure if a blued is available in Australia.

They (stainless Hawkeye) are available in Australia ... probably around AUD $950-$1100 depending where you shop. At various times I think we've also seen VTs in 222Rem (been a long time though and I may be getting confused with the fast twist VTs), plus the Outback (blued?Zytel stock) which I'm pretty sure was available in 222Rem.

Scroll down here and there's both a new 222Rem and an older boat-paddle for sale:
http://usedguns.com.au/used_rifles.html#cf243

Also a 1978 7x57 for what seems a fortune in the 'Whats new' section.
Cheers...
Con