Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle hunt review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
Aloha all. Just finished my AZ elk hunt. I was using my Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in 308 WIN for this hunt. This is the first time I have hunted with this rifle. I added a Thunder Beast Ultra 9 suppressor to the rifle during the hunt.

I found that the Gunsite had very good balance for my hunt. I added a Vortex Viper HS 6.5.18 scope. The scope is mounted conventionally. I used Ruger factory 5 round magazines. I attached a Burris bipod to the forward lug. Even with all the extra items the rifle was not too heavy. I had the opportunity to go from carrying the rifle to shouldering the rifle several times and I had no issues maneuvering the rifle. The ergonomics were right on when I positioned myself behind the scope. I did not have adjust my cheek or move around to get good sight picture.

Manipulating the bolt was easy and did not require any undue force. The bolt handle is adequate. I see that you can get larger bolt handles. I did not need a larger handle nor do I see having a larger bolt handle as a needed upgrade. Accuracy was right on. Despite vastly different atmospheric conditions, the rifle had little to no change in point of impact.

I dropped the rifle in the snow a couple of times and got dirt in the action of the rifle during my hunt. I had no issues using the rifle. The rifle worked as advertised. Using the rifle suppressed is great! The threads of the barrel were cut true at the factory. The suppressor bore is concentric with the bore of the rifle. Accuracy with my hand loaded bullets are sub-MOA. With my hunting TTSX I can expect .5 MOA at 100 yards. I know that this is not meant to be precision rifle but, I will definitely take the accuracy.

IMG-2781.jpg

I can report that the Ruger Gunsite is a viable choice for elk. Are you going to shoot 800 yards at elk with this rifle? I hope not! Therefore, within reasonable ranges the Gunsite will put an elk down if the bullet is placed correctly.

I hope someone found this information helpful. This is a good all round rifle that can serve in several capacities. I plan on using this rifle on my next hunt. Watch out TX hogs Gunsite is looking for some pork!

mjh

Single-Sixer
Thanks for your report. SO did you get an elk? Saw the report in the hunting section. Looks like a successful hunt on many levels ! :)

gatling

Blackhawk
Al,

Good report and thanks for posting it. I have a GSR and I shoot it with the iron sights. It's a fun rifle. Good to see another owner using it well.

bearclaw46

Bearcat
I have one in 308 as well. I bought it the 2nd year they came out but can't remember what year that was. I took it deer hunting for the first time though last year and got a small doe with it. Seems to be a good luck rifle. I love shooting it at the range. Thanks for sharing your elk story. Glad you got it. Can I ask what grain bullet you used?? Thanks in advance.

gunzo

Buckeye
El Pistolero said:
I want a gunsight rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor so bad I can hardly stand it!

They're not on every street corner but they're out there. I looked casually for awhile & finally went into a full blown "daily" search that took 2 months. Mine arrived Monday, :mrgreen: .

Thinking I'm really gonna like it, I sure do so far.