Ruger Grip Panel Help please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I picked up 10 sets of Rosewood grip panels yesterday while I was up in Newport. Four sets are standard thickness and six sets are thinner, I was told that these were thinned out at the request of Stan Terhune because Joe Bowman didn't like the thickness of the standard panels per a conversation Stan and Joe had regarding Ruger SA revolvers....

The thing that is weird is they appear to all be for the short grip frame, i.e. overall length is 2 3/4" (closer to 2 13/16") or about 1/4" shorter than the standard XR3, XR3RED grip sizes.

I believe they are for the XRN-RED Short grip frames....can someone please confirm this for me as I do not own a short grip frame revolver...they are nice grips with the "SR" medallions so I could not resist them....but it would seem that they were used on only one revolver, the 32 Single Six Vaqueros.

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year.

Ah yes, more "Ruger lore" and as most things, they all have a story.....only way to know just what they fit is to try them on the shortie mini Vaq. grip frame or like the Last Cowboy OR the 32 Mini Vaquero, or any such "short frame...as to "why" ?? Did Joe Bpwman ever have or use the SHORT grip guns in any of his action/shows??? so why the the story he said to do this or do that??...we know that over the years Mr Ruger had the shop or the folks IN THERE do what ever was needed to make this guy happy or that guy happy...was it put in writing? for the MOST part, NO, he didn;t write things downm just told them to "pass it one and do it".....yes "Ruger lore" and very hard to prove one way or the other ...we could have used one of them "shorty" grips, had a Last Cowboy ,had two broken ( cracked) white "polymer" ( fake ivory) grips with the "LC" logo on that small ( short) grip..........
good luck

Happy new year 8) :wink:

street

Hunter
The short "cowboy" grip frame was supposed to be for the ladies. As far as I know it was only used on the 32. I think they had both wood and fake Ivory. I guess they didn't sell too well and was discontinued after a short time. The fake Ivory ones with the medallion is very hard to find.

Thanks...i don't have a short grip frame to be able to confirm that is what I have. The story I heard was told to me by way of a friend who has no reason to make it up nor did he nor I expect to gain from the story...I just noticed some of the grip panels had been thinned down and he told me why....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
NH Rugerman,

You measurements confirm you do have the short Vaquerito grips. All the .32 vaqueritos came with them; usually wood on blue guns and faux ivory on stainless grips.

Exception: at the end of production 500 blue and 500 stainless were made with the standard grip XR3-RED size grips frames.

Since Cowboy action shooters wanted slimmer grips and the short grip frames are 1/2" thick, the grips were slimmed. Byt as said above, too short for most shooters.

Once the New Vaqueros and Flattop Blackhawks came out, ruger produced the OM XR3 Colt size grip frames and made them only 7/16" thick. Also with thinner grips.

I don't know anything about Joe Bowman's connection, other than he endorsed Ruger SAs at their booth for the annual Shot Show. But it doesn't matter; that's what Ruger produced.

Three .32 Mags from standard size to small:

Top one: has 32 Mag cyl and an extra one reamed to 32-20 (yes the bullet needs deeper seating to fit), 4 5/8", XR3-Red size steel grip frame.

Next one: reamed to 327 Fed Mag and shoots both mags from same cyl, 4 3/8", XR3 steel grip size.

3rd one: 32 Mag, 4 1/8" barrel, Vaquerito short steel grip frame.

xlarge.jpg

Limited edition .22 Vaqueritos with 4 5/8" barrel and standard XR3-RED grip frame in steel, top gun; 5 1/2", bottom:

vacsinglesix001.jpg

Latest posts