Ruger GP100 Match Champ or SP-101 4.2"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I got the go-ahead from the mrs. to buy a revolver this year...I've got an SR9 that I put all the good stuff into, and it shoots well. I used to have a GP100 with 6" barrel years back, and it was accurate and fun but big! I'm looking at going a bit more compact, either the SP-101 or the GP100 Match Champ with 4.2" barrel. I have medium sized hands, so I think the SP grip will be okay, and if I went that way I'd put Wolff 9 or 10 lb. springs in it and polish all the parts. From the reviews, it looks like the GP100 Match Champ comes almost perfect from the factory. I'm wondering what you folks think would be the best choice between the two? Greatly appreciate any thoughts you folks might have on this...thanks!

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have a 6" GP, and a 4" SP. In my opinion, if you aren't interested in concealment, the GP Match would be the way to go. If CCW is important, then the SP. The felt recoil is so MUCH less with a GP that the balance shifts that way, if nothing else matters. Either way, it's a Ruger, so 'nuff said.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I've owned both. As a range, target or hunting gun that's going to be shot often, the GP is the clear winner. As a woods gun or hunting backup carried a lot, shot little) or for CCW the lower weight and the smaller size of the SP certainly make it more attractive.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
This is just me but from the parameters you set out of the 2 I would go with the GP 100. While the SP101 is somewhat smaller with a 5 shot cylinder and smaller frame a 4" revolver is a 4" revolver. To me I would have the 6th shot and slightly wider cylinder. You can dress around the difference with those two without much hassle. Again if your hand size is such that could dictate but with the GO you can put very compact grips on it. So as far as grip that's a 6 of one half dozen of the other thing.

If I really was concerned about concealment in wheel guns the 2 1/4" spur less SP101 or LCR or S&W 442/642. JMHO

Thanks folks, the GP Match Champion it is...in Canada we don't have concealed carry, so it wouldn't get packed around unless it was a SHTF scenario, so the main thing is how does it shoot and how accurate is it? Either one will fit into a gun vest in a crisis...but outside of that the GP100 will be more fun. Funny thing is, we can drive around in Canada with a 8.5" barrelled 12 gauge pump shotgun with pistol grip but not a pistol! :)

Meeko

Single-Sixer
Singleshotneeded said:
Thanks folks, the GP Match Champion it is...in Canada we don't have concealed carry, so it wouldn't get packed around unless it was a SHTF scenario, so the main thing is how does it shoot and how accurate is it? Either one will fit into a gun vest in a crisis...but outside of that the GP100 will be more fun. Funny thing is, we can drive around in Canada with a 8.5" barrelled 12 gauge pump shotgun with pistol grip but not a pistol! :)

That's last part is CRAZY. At least you can have that with you I suppose.

Modernhoglegs

Bearcat
I've been having tne same discussion with myself. I saw the 4"SP at my LGS, but now the I've read aboug the new GP over on gunblast.com , I'm thinking that might be the way to go.
My edc is a 2.5" SP101, so my speedloaders and related stuff favor the SP, but my ex had a Security Six that was a real piece of art, so the GP has real appeal.

eveled

Hawkeye
Meeko said:
If I really was concerned about concealment in wheel guns the 2 1/4" spur less SP101 or LCR or S&W 442/642. JMHO

I have the DAO sp101 a 442 and a GP100. The 442 gets carried way more. Usually in my pocket.

For me the SP101 needs a belt and holster, so if I go that route, I usually opt for the GP100, or an automatic.

If I could have only one concealed carry gun, it would be the 442, actually 2 of them would be great. One for each jacket pocket. Ed

Meeko

Single-Sixer
eveled said:
Meeko said:

I have the DAO sp101 a 442 and a GP100. The 442 gets carried way more. Usually in my pocket.

For me the SP101 needs a belt and holster, so if I go that route, I usually opt for the GP100, or an automatic.

If I could have only one concealed carry gun, it would be the 442, actually 2 of them would be great. One for each jacket pocket. Ed

The 442/642's are great snubbies. My preference on snubbies though is a Sp 101 for a couple reasons. I like the ability to use 357 if I have to (since I have that loaded in my 686/GP100 just incase my main one becomes disabled I still have BB's for the snubby ) I like the heavier weight of the Ruger (I'm weird like that) and I always use a belt and good quality leather holster. Years of carrying in holsters just hard to use anything but that method. That's just what works for me.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
This will shock some but I would suggest get one of the new production S&W 66. The k frame cylinder is slightly wider that the SP but not as big as the GP and you still keep six shots. Also the gun is lighter than the GP. It would be interesting to find out if Ruger introduced the new GP to compete against the 66. I can only hope that Ruger brings back the Six series guns.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
lfpiii said:
This will shock some but I would suggest get one of the new production S&W 66. The k frame cylinder is slightly wider that the SP but not as big as the GP and you still keep six shots. Also the gun is lighter than the GP. It would be interesting to find out if Ruger introduced the new GP to compete against the 66. I can only hope that Ruger brings back the Six series guns.

Being the GP is equal in size to the L frame I believe Ruger came up with the Match Champion to compete with S&W's 686SSR. A lot of IDPA SSR revolver folks where using the SSR when introduced. However you might be onto something because competitors do all kinds of things and have all kinds of beliefs (and probably a ritual or two). One belief is the smaller K frame can be shot slightly faster because of the slightly smaller diameter cylinder. Combine that with IDPA allows a lower 105,000 (basically power factor) in 38 special to the 120,000 in everything else. SSR shooters can run 130 gr FMJ or 125gr at much lighter recoil in the lighter K frame.

Is that enough to really make a difference? I don't know in I have always used L frames except for the excellent K frame model 15 in the AF.