Ruger GP100 .44 Spl. Front Sight Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tracker1

Bearcat
I have one of the 3' GP100's in .44 Spl. The front sight sits a bit tall in the dovetail, as others have noted, leaving a slight gap on both sides of the dovetail. It has not caused any POI issues that can't be cured with a bit of elevation adjustment. I was at a "Ruger Days" promotion recently at my LGS, and they had a 3" GP100 .44 that appeared to have no gap issue on the front sight, Does anybody know if Ruger is providing replacement front sights to owners of the earlier issued guns? I know that Ruger customer service is excellent and I can just call and ask - but I would just like to know if anybody else has done this.

I am extremely pleased with the gun in all other respects. I got a set of the compact grips from Ruger, and find that the gun carries much better. I had a S&W 696 .44 Spl. also and traded it on another new Ruger. The considerably lighter weight of the GP100 makes it more enjoyable to carry without creating controlability issues.

gunman42782

Hunter
I asked if they had a gold bead front sight for mine and they sent me one free of charge.

DPris

Buckeye
You can probably get a new sight from Ruger, but the problems were more related to dovetail cuts.
I new sight may not fix that.
Denis

GKC

Blackhawk
Thumbcocker said:
I asked about gold bead sights and was told they were a dealer exclusive and I was out of luck.

Same here. The CSR told me that they did have them, but they were not available for retail sale, since they were exclusive to dealer special models. He went on to say that if they sold or gave me one, it would violate their licensing agreement with the dealers.

I was just looking at the Novak site, and they do have a front sight available for $120. Not sure if it's the same one or not, that would fit the GP100 3" model. If it does, I don't dislike the FO sight enough to pay that to replace it!

Thel

Blackhawk
I think at $120 it may be different and an actual gold bead. I am fairly certain the "gold bead" Ruger uses in production is a brass bead which Novak also offers. They also offer several others. I think DPris mentioned sometime back on a board that Novak would make an actual gold bead at a $100 and something dollars. Here is a link to the Novak site:

http://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509

Whether they will eliminate the gap is another question. Did Ruger change the dovetail dimensions on the barrel rib or the sight dimensions on later models to eliminate the gap?

DPris

Buckeye
Ruger did improve that front sight cut on later models.
I griped about the first sample I got with a Ruger product manager, and that, along with other problems with chambers on the early guns, was corrected. Mostly. :)

The "gold" bead Ruger has comes from Novak to begin with.
It is brass.
Novak will sell you the exact same part.
They will also sell you a replacement sight with an actual gold bead.

You have to call & ask for what you want, and if the first guy you get isn't sure, ask politely for him to check with somebody else.

As I recall, it's a .265", but double-check with whoever you talk to at Novak.
They don't catalog gold, but they'll do it on request.

In my opinion, going with gold is worth the money.
I have older eyes that need contrasts, and they're a better fit for me than fiber-optics.

If you go cheaper with a brass bead, it'll work just as well, till it tarnishes with age & darkens.
Gold does not tarnish.
Denis

GKC

Blackhawk
In looking at the Novak site, there are a couple of other sight options, including a tritium dot and tritium mega dot front sight, both of which are .265". I assume these will fit the 3" .44 Special barrel. I'm thinking about going that route. Actually I'd prefer a ramp front sight with a red insert, but so far haven't found one.

How do you install the sight? Can you tap it out, and the new one in?

Thel

Blackhawk
I ordered and had installed a tritium sight on my newer GP .44 SP. It fits just fine. They install from the side of the barrel into the dovetail and are a press fit. The optimal way of installing is with a sight pusher but can be pushed in or out with a punch and suitable hammer. If you desire a ramp sight perhaps one of suitable height could be found in Brownells and installed A gunsmith could then install an insert of the desired color as they did in the old days on front sights. It probably would be as pricey, though, as going with the tritium sight and installation. On the gold vs brass discussion I agree with DPris. I have had gold beads fashioned in the past by gunsmiths. In one case, though, the 'smith used a brass bead. I found I was polishing the tarnish off every couple of weeks and it never appeared to my ancient eyes as bright as the gold bead sights.

GKC

Blackhawk
The gold bead is a little too pricey for me...although it would be worth it if it really made that much of a difference. It seems like the tritium sight would be brighter in low light conditions, or at night.

I've installed a rear sight before by tapping it out and the new sight in, on a SD9VE. I used a wooden dowel and a small mallet, and it worked fine. Since we've moved, I haven't located a local gun smith; the one at the LGS near where we used to live spoiled me...he'd do anything, and just charged me for parts. He said it was cheaper for him that way, than to fix what I did. :oops: :lol:

On this gun, however, I'll try to find a local gun smith who has a sight pusher.

DPris

Buckeye
If you R&R yourself, tap the sight out FROM the LEFT TO the RIGHT, and reverse that on installing the new one.

The thing I've found over the years with nightsights in general is that their dots are smaller, don't show up as well in dimming light as white dots & gold dots, and by the time they really become usefull it's too dark to see your threat anyway. :)

It's up to you, but night-sights dim out eventually, gold never does. :)
Sometimes it's worth the extra money to get the extra performance.
My .44 Special GP does not have a fiber-optic on it. I don't miss it.
Denis

GKC

Blackhawk
DPris said:
It's up to you, but night-sights dim out eventually, gold never does. :)
Sometimes it's worth the extra money to get the extra performance.
My .44 Special GP does not have a fiber-optic on it. I don't miss it.

You make a good point. I wish Ruger had made it without the fiber optic, but that's what came on it. I've never liked them. I may just have to go with the gold one...I don't want to mess with the brass one.

DPris

Buckeye
I know money always matters, but I was serious about better performance from a few more bucks to go real gold, IF that type of sight is what you decide on.

Night-sights are very popular, but I seriously find white dots work just as well for me & a gold dot ain't half bad, neither. :)

If you want to REALLY talk performance, call Hamilton Bowen about fabricating a white-line front ramp. I've got that on my 2.5-inch GP .357.
He can also do a red insert for you.

Be aware that you'll be looking at a custom fabrication, but I can positively assure you that he is worth the cash. :)
Denis

GKC

Blackhawk
DPris said:
I know money always matters, but I was serious about better performance from a few more bucks to go real gold, IF that type of sight is what you decide on.

It's a funny thing about perceived expense...I was just about to spend $150 for stag grips for my $700 SR1911, but the GP100 came along and that put that off for a while. It didn't seem to be too expensive for the grips for the 1911, which don't really do anything but look good, yet I pause at spending $120 for a better sight on my $700 GP100...which would be an actual performance upgrade.

Being retired, and with my wife's ongoing medical expenses, cost has to be a consideration. Actually, I didn't need the GP100 at all...but how many gun purchases have been made out of real necessity?

DPris said:
If you want to REALLY talk performance, call Hamilton Bowen about fabricating a white-line front ramp. I've got that on my 2.5-inch GP .357. He can also do a red insert for you. Be aware that you'll be looking at a custom fabrication, but I can positively assure you that he is worth the cash. :)
Denis

If you have a link, I'd appreciate it...or I can try to look him up on Google.

GKC

Blackhawk
I got this reply from Ruger:

"Thanks for your recent message to our CEO, Chris Killoy, regarding your preferences for GP100 front sights. As you might expect, we sell a bunch of these great revolvers and our customers have a variety of preferences for sight arrangements that we try to accommodate as much as possible. I appreciate your comments and like the look and durability of the gold bead as well.

Although we do not currently sell them as Customer Service noted, the good news is that other online vendors do have them available for the GP100. You might look at the Novak option at the following link: http://www.novaksights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1100669. We do a lot of work with Noavk and they make great sights at reasonable prices. I think you may like what you see there.

Thanks again for your comments and thanks for buying Ruger firearms.

Best regards,

Eric Schellhorn Director of Sportswear & Accessories

Ruger Customer Service"

GKC

Blackhawk
Thel said:
I ordered and had installed a tritium sight on my newer GP .44 SP. It fits just fine. They install from the side of the barrel into the dovetail and are a press fit. The optimal way of installing is with a sight pusher but can be pushed in or out with a punch and suitable hammer.

In talking to Novak, they don't recommend the use of a sight pusher...it seems the part of the sight that fits into the cut on the barrel is beveled or something, and a sight pusher may mar it or install it at an angle. So, if I do buy another sight, I'll tap it out and back in myself.