ruger gp, or sp???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a small problem deciding so i hope yall can help me out, i have a chance to buy a new gun but only one and would like to know which yall think is best for the uses i'll need it for? i have a choice of a 4inch gp100, or a 3inch sp101, it will be open carried around my home area,(i live in a rural area and open carrying is not a problem) out walking, and hiking in the woods. it will serve also as a home defense gun. now i know some will say get one and later get the other, but unless things get better with money this will be my only handgun for at least a year. so i need the best choice for what i'm using it for, i've checked both out and love both but can only get one. they are the same price and new, so for what i'm using it for which gun will be my best choice? thanks for any help.

Marc S

Bearcat
I have about a dozen hand guns. The SP101 357 magnum is a great gun, I pack it more than the others I have. It conceals nice and even though it has fixed sights, it shoots tight groups at 25 yards. I have no experience with the GP100 but I am sure it is a great gun as well. I would think the SP will conceal better and is lighter.

Flash

Buckeye
The SP for sure.
sps001.jpg

003-11.jpg

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I'd go for the GP. For open carry, I don't notice the extra inch of barrel. What I do notice, is that the 4" barrel is about the absolute minimum for me to get a good, consistent, complete burn of the powder in my "woods" or "hunting" loads.

I wind up with my GPs doing double duty as both protection and hunting, but I'm fairly big and don't even notice the GP is on my hip during a day of hiking.

I really like the SPs too, but for the "just one of 'em", I'd go with the GP.

If I was allowed to only have one gun, and it must cover all the bases, and the choices are as you've described, then I'd opt for the GP. If you're looking for a gun, and its only job would be as a concealed piece, then I'd say the SP, but then I'd suggest finding one with the shorter barrel.

WAYNO.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Open carry, I'd go with the GP. You get one more round and a longer barrel. I love my SP but I carry concealed (not strictly required in Minnesota but I live in Minneapolis and ignorant people sometimes freak out). Bottom line, though: you can't go wrong either way.

NCMountains

Bearcat
Open carry without a doubt the GP. The SP if I were wanting to conceal carry but the GP makes a fine day hiking gun; camping gun; and just all around hip gun.

I have a SP 3 inch, had a GP 4inch. If you're going to hunt the GP(here in TN 4inch barrel min)otherwise the SP. SP carries fine on the belt. GP carries better in a vertical shoulder holster.
IMO
gramps

cwegga

Bearcat
For open carry and home defense I'd go with the GP. The extra round and extra barrel will be nice for that. I have the SP but I CC it so the benefit is the narrower cylinder.

FXWG

Bearcat
For the purpose that you described and the choices that you give,
I would go for the GP100. But if it were me, I would look for a nice
Speed Six, Security Six or Police Service Six. JMHO, YMMV.

ddd482

Single-Sixer
i would ge the sp if i could only have one- easier to ccw if the need arrises- but either way, a good choice- a new ruger :D :D

Knuckles

Buckeye
All you accomplish is a thin 5-round cylinder with the SP101 (lays nice and close for CCW)

Take the GP100 4-incher and you'll love it (six rounds is better than 5)

I have owned a GP 3" and a SP 2 1/4"... I went with bigger caliber guns, but will probably end up with another SP101 DAO... you can't beat 'em for concealed-carry.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I'd go with the GP-100 for trigger pull alone. It is much more comfortable on double action pull than the SP. The SP in my experience has a shorter snappier pull that I dont find as comfortable as the longer smoother pull of the GP. I suspect because of the shorter fall and lighter hammer on the small gun they have to use a stronger spring although I have not scientifically tested this. I shoot 3 SPs and have had 2GPs also, I carried all of them at one time or another on duty as a policeman. By far the easiest to shoot and the smoothest action were the GPs. Not that the Sps are bad, they are just not as slick as their bigger counterparts. Also recoil is more comfortable in the larger gun. Just another couple of considerations to add to your quest.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Boomer
Another guy that owns both.
Trust both!

But as you detailed WELL, the functions looking for.
GP100 over the Sp101.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Keep in mind Ruger is kind of lazy when it comes to leaving sharp edges on the back of triggers and what not...

... so be prepared to do a little smoothing out on some edges.

It will depend on how your hand grips the gun to some respect.
Both my GP and my SP would pinch my finger fat with heavy loads.

BTW... "Uncle Mike's" from the Butler Creek company used to make a wonderful grip for the GP100 and the SP101 if you don't like the new Hogue, or the old Ruger factory grips.

They're out of production now but you can find them used on sleaze-bay and many other auction sights.

Here's my SP101 with Uncle Mike's "Boot-Grips" on it.

The ones for the GP100 are a bit larger.

Picture156-1.jpg