ruger gp, or sp???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rhatimi

Bearcat
I own a GP in 4" and love it . Although if you are going to carry it (even in open carry) the GP is a tad bit heavy and large. While I do occasionally use a hip holster for it, I would probably get a cross-draw shoulder holster rig if I were going to carry it for long periods of time. Other than that the 4" GP in .357 mag would be my first choice for a do everything gun.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Have you simply considered going with a 3" fixed-sight GP100, which is very nicely balanced, and would seem on the face of things to give you the best of both worlds?

Best, Jon

Knuckles

Buckeye
P94/GP100":20b0ejn0 said:
Have you simply considered going with a 3" fixed-sight GP100, which is very nicely balanced, and would seem on the face of things to give you the best of both worlds?

Best, Jon

Tiz' what I did and let go of the 3" GP100 for the thinner 5-shot SP101

I tell you the truth... the 2 1/4" SP101 DAO handled the heavy ammo with the same felt recoil... they both smarted in the hand.

The 4" GP100 has more mass... it's what I'd get for the open carry scenario... and a Simply Rugged holster. :wink:

P94/GP100":10www51r said:

Best, Jon

Or, a 2-3/4" Security Six. The best of ALL worlds! :wink:

WAYNO.

JBL13

Bearcat
boomer92266":3uybsgjv said:
i have a choice of a 4inch gp100, or a 3inch sp101, it will be open carried around my home area,(i live in a rural area and open carrying is not a problem) out walking, and hiking in the woods. it will serve also as a home defense gun.

For what you stated, I'd say the 4" GP.

I have two 4" GPs (one is stainless), a 6" stainless GP, and a 2.25" DAO SP. For me, the GP is easier to shoot accurately, is more enjoyable for plinking, and the "extra" round is nice. I occasionally conceal-carry my 4" stainless GP under a large, untucked T-shirt in a Simply Rugged holster, and it works out well. I also have a Simply Rugged holster for the SP, and it's quite comfortable.

Knuckles

Buckeye
WAYNO":aqvebfp6 said:
P94/GP100":aqvebfp6 said:

Best, Jon

Or, a 2-3/4" Security Six. The best of ALL worlds! :wink:

WAYNO.

Those Sec-Six's are real handsome DA-guns that melt right into your hand when you grab them... I almost bought one four/five years ago... another great choice for the poster's "open carry" request.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I agree with those that suggested the 4" GP, Just a fine all around do it all revolver. Full size grips (i am unable to fit 3 fingers on a factory sp-101 grip), 6 shot cylinder, adjustable sights (i prefer the sight picture of adjustable sights.........and well they're adjustable for what ever level of load you shoot whether it be .38s or heavy .357s)

Also, with this being open carry you have a much larger selection in holsters. you are not restricted to holsters that hide under a coat or inside the pants. A quality holster can make up for the difference in weight between the sp and the gp.

~c.r.

maxpress

Buckeye
i have a speed six which is right between the gp and sp. i would sugest keeping an eye out even for a longer barrel and have it cut to length.