Ruger GP 100 question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Checkman

Bearcat
I own a Ruger GP100. It's approximately two years old and has been treated very gently. Timing is on and there is no endshake. But I have found a glitch. A few weeks ago I was doing a standard functions check and had the age old adage confirmed (again) that if it's mechanical it can break.

Like all modern revolvers when the hammer is cocked I can't swing out the cylinder. But when the cylinder is swung out I can cock the hammer. I estimate 50% of the time I can't cock the hammer, but the other 50% it cocks with no resistance whatsoever.

Now I have contacted Ruger and the company advises that I ship it back to them ASAP to be worked on. No big surprise there in this age of liability.There is a good chance that there will be no charge though there is no promise of that - naturally. Of course I would have to pay FedEx and ship my revolver across the United States (Idaho - New Hampshire) and I've heard stories about Ruger's less than speedy service.

So here is my question. Is this a mechanical situation that can effect the revolver's long-term performance? Will it lead to issues with timing, accuracy, light strikes, AD's and so on. I can honestly say that in the past thirty years of shooting I have yet to cock a revolver on the range when the cylinder is swung out. The only time I have done so is to perform the above mentioned functions check. We have a couple really excellent gunsmiths here in the Boise area. Just let them work on it? Or just not worry about it? I'm leaning towards not worrying about it, but I'm not a gunsmith.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

GP100man

Buckeye
Checkman

It`ll always be in the back of your mind !!

If Ruger will pay shippin both ways i`d let em go thru & overhaul it , but if any springs you`ve changed won`t come back though!!

the cyl latch goes forward to "block" the trigger being pulled or hammer by hittin the top of the hand , it mite have a burr or have been rounded in some way either or the cyl latch itself.

Checkman

Bearcat
GP100man":3kkae8ut said:
Checkman

It`ll always be in the back of your mind !!

If Ruger will pay shippin both ways i`d let em go thru & overhaul it , but if any springs you`ve changed won`t come back though!!

the cyl latch goes forward to "block" the trigger being pulled or hammer by hittin the top of the hand , it mite have a burr or have been rounded in some way either or the cyl latch itself.

I'd have to pay to have it shipped to Ruger. I'm still trying to decide. Tempted to have a local gunsmith take a look at it also. Just wondering it this safety feature is really necessary.

GP100man

Buckeye
Simply put YES.

Not so simply if ya closed the cyl with the hammer cocked you`d bend the hand & possibly cause the hammer to fall & that could be bad in too many ways!!

The local smith could check for simple things like burrs & worn parts & alot of parts in the GP are "drop in" with very little to no fittin.

Could be the spring asm that pushes the cyl latch forward is weak???

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Checkman, GP 100man makes some very good and valid points! You definitely do not want to use a revolver with "safety" issues. Have you requested Ruger to send you a prepaid shipping container? If not give that a try. My thinking is that you may wind up having to send this in to Ruger anyway so in "this" particular case, I would send the gun in to Ruger and skip the local gunsmith route...........................Dick :idea:

tiger955

Bearcat
The spring on your cylinder latch release is weak or something is sticky with the release. On my SRH (which is the same design) if I open the cylinder and use a pen to push the little button below the firing pin in where the rear cyl latch seats I can push the release out and cock the hammer. I don't see this affecting the function of the gun as long as you don't cock it and try to close the cylinder.