Ruger GP 100 Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP 100 Grips: Classic or Modern

• Classic (rubber grip with wood insert, NO FINGER GROOVES)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modern (All rubber with finger grooves)

• No preference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

s4s4u

Hunter
I like the "Tamer" version of the rubber finger groove grips (SRH). It feels fatter in the thumbwebarea. That is for shooting, for looking the rubber/wood combo rules.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
My hand and the diameter of my fingers just doesn't work with finger grip stocks. It always seems like the raised part is where my fingers need to be. With S&W revolvers I have always liked the Magna style service grips with a Pachmayr or Tyler's grip adapter to fill the area behind and below the trigger guard. The nearly cylindrical shape of the GP-100 wooden stocks works fine for me.

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
I've got the ShopRuger.com catalog here in front of me- just arrived today. They list the rubber grip with the rosewood panels for $39.95, item #70083. Item #70085 gets you the black laminate panels for the same price. That's from
http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grip-w_-Bla ... nfo/70085/

I've got a set of the black laminates on my GP161 and I think they just look terrific.

For meself, I'm glad we can still get both styles.

Jeff

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
WAYNO as the Hogues are now original factory equipment on the GP100's. WAYNO.[/quote said:
Can you tell me why Ruger did that? To me, it's also like getting rid of the 1/2 lug. Is everything just for money? I don't know but it sure seems that way :cry:

Kanook

Buckeye
I wish somebody could make a set of wood grips that dupicate the exact feel of the Security Six full size (presentation?) grips. If I had a GP that felt like I was holding the Security I would be in heaven and stop thinking about buying a Smith. (please don't hate me, I'm only thinking about it so it's not cheating)

HiCntry

Bearcat
I'm in the minority in that the hogue grips fit my big hands and long fingers great, plus I got my gp100 as a camping/hunting/trail gun so looks are kinda secondary. I've only shot the old grips a few times and they are nice but I don't get it, the wood panel seems like an afterthought. If you want some really asthetically pleasing grips get some nice all-wood ones instead of just some panels. To my taste the Hogue grips look better than some of the aftermarket panels I've seen people put in there. But to each his own I say.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
BeagleDog":d498v8un said:
WAYNO as the Hogues are now original factory equipment on the GP100's. WAYNO.[/quote:d498v8un said:
Can you tell me why Ruger did that? To me, it's also like getting rid of the 1/2 lug. Is everything just for money? I don't know but it sure seems that way :cry:

Ruger's OEM grip supplier, Letts, went out of business several years ago (unfortunately). Letts provided all of Rugers wood grip inserts, so the Hogue grips became a viable alternative. In the past 5-10 years, Hogue has apparently done quite well, not just as an aftermarket grip supplier, but also as an OEM source, with company-logo'ed grips being provided as desired.

The quality of Hogue grips is excellent; I have been quite pleased with their grips for both revolvers and semi-automatic pistols over the years (and while neither are currently being used, I also have their grips for both my GP100 and Security Six). However, Ruger really got it right with the original grips (both sizes) for the GP100, regarding both form, function, and aesthetics, in my opinion. Since I doubt that Letts manufactured the rubber portion of the original grips, I hope that Ruger finds another wood insert manufacturer and continues to offer both sizes of the original GP100 grips, at least as an alternative, as they currently do.

Best, Jon