Ruger Gold Label purchase decision

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
First post here. Have had a long but relatively thin Ruger experience. Bought a 77 back in 1988, have a security six, 10/22 and a Mark III.

My question is I have a chance to buy a very lightly used Gold Label which I have not seen yet. The seller is related to a good friend and is out of state. Sounds like I can buy it for $1600. That seems to be a pretty good price but I am not familar with what they are currently going for. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
Too expensive!!! Send me the sellers information!! :shock:

If it is in good shape I do believe that is going to be a bargain. Others will surely chime in on this shortly.

Bearcat
I wasn't sure if those values were good since no one was bidding on them. It sounds like it is priced very fair though based on the feedback. Sounds like I need to get writing a check. Thank you very much and I am learning a ton about Rugers on this forum.

I have really enjoyed my Security Six and am thinking I may like to find a stainless version as well.

30338":30vpdpbz said:
I wasn't sure if those values were good since no one was bidding on them. It sounds like it is priced very fair though based on the feedback. Sounds like I need to get writing a check. Thank you very much and I am learning a ton about Rugers on this forum.

I have really enjoyed my Security Six and am thinking I may like to find a stainless version as well.

Folks aren't buying them because they've got different priorities, right now. :shock:

$1600 is a steal.

WAYNO.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I agree with Wayno. Some have been advertised at around $3000 but I feel the real selling price is right around $2400. $1600 is a pretty awesome price for a Gold Label.

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Have a friend who is big into side-by-side doubles.

Has lots of British, Italian, Spanish, and American made guns.

Is retired now and spends everyday either fishing or bird hunting.

Travels every week to find something to either hook or shoot.

Since he got his Ruger Gold Label, it is what he carries nearly all the time.

His gun has the English straight stock with splinter forend.

Really likes it.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I would buy a Gold Label for that price on two conditions:

1. I found a seller wanting to sell a nice Gold Label for that price.
2. I didn't dislocate my shoulder reaching for my wallet.

When I found my NIB Gold Label for $1899, my credit card flew out of my wallet so fast it threw sparks!! :D And I bought it to shoot, not lock up. What a great shotgun. My first & only SxS. Just don't shoot too many 3" shells out of that 6.5 lb. gun with that hard plastic butpad. Owww.

Bearcat
Is there any preference for pistol grip versus English? I have always thought the English grip shotguns really looked sleek. Hoping this one is English, but buying either way.

Coop

Blackhawk
Great opportunity - do not pass on this one.

Saw my first GL (prototype) in Phoenix in 2001 or 2 at a shooting match. Fell in love with it. Finally got mine (pistol grip, which I wanted) in May 2007. Over those 5-6 years, I only saw one GL for sale in a gun store in central PA. It was a straight stock, so I passed on it.

My preference is pistol grip. I use pistol gripped 12GA SxS coach guns for SASS CAS matches. I believe pistol grips give me greater control of the gun, and lessens the felt recoil due to more perpendicular wrist angle.

Coop

I have a pistol gripped Gold Label and prefer that stock because it is easier to carry across my left arm when walking (grip makes a little "stop" that helps you balance the gun there) and it does make it easier to hold onto tightly if you are shooting heavy loads.

My Brother has a straight-gripped one which he likes equally well, tho.

I have had zero problems with mine but it is not a gun for 3" magnums IMO (it just kicks because it's light; the gun itself is built tough enough for 5" magnums if they made those!) and you do have to be careful not to ding the choke tube area. But that is only really relevant if you are hunting rocky canyons where you might whack the muzzles against a rock face rather than fall to your death. Ah, isn't chukar hunting FUN?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
8) I SINCERELY wish they had gone on to make this in a regulated double rifle............Think! about that! They had the MAN who could do the barrels. Allegedly, he retired and the pgm fell on it's knees......Sad........... :?

Here's my take on the English stock...

English stocks are more elegant, to me.

As far as what's best, for a particular purpose? An English stock on a trap gun forces your elbow up, which is a preferred position in trap shooting. But, a SxS is not normally a trap gun.

So, for hunting, where a double gun belongs, a pistol grip is easier for carriability.

But, again, a gorgeous SxS deserves a gorgeous English stock, in spite of its hunting heritage.

A wishy-washy opinion, I know, but sometimes ya gotta break the rules. :D

Can you imagine a gentleman, such as myself, smoking a pipe, and wearing a cardigan sweater with anything other than an English stock? :roll:

WAYNO.

Bearcat
Guess I need a pipe then as I just found out it is English stock. I've always liked the way they looked but agree that a pistol grip might be better for me. As far as Chukar hunting, thinking that would have to be a beater shotgun. If everything comes together this one is going for blue grouse on Labor Day weekend. Thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it.

30338":u9iowf01 said:
Guess I need a pipe then as I just found out it is English stock. I've always liked the way they looked but agree that a pistol grip might be better for me. As far as Chukar hunting, thinking that would have to be a beater shotgun. If everything comes together this one is going for blue grouse on Labor Day weekend. Thank you for all the information, I really appreciate it.

Actually, you'll find that as light as this gun is, either stock will work, and carry, just fine.

And as far as chukar hunting? I always worried about beating up nice guns in the chukar slides, so a much more replaceable gun is all I was comfortable with. Same with really fancy guns in a duck blind.

WAYNO.

Wow, I can't believe that price! I have one with an English stock. It is not for sale but if I had to sell it now I would not take less than $2800.

GL are not only great shotguns, they are works of art IMHO.

You should jump on that deal quickly!!! You won't be disappointed.

Tensaw

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
The pistol grip vs. the straight grip. It all boils down to what feels best to you. It's like the Blackhawk grip vs. the Bisley grip whichever one fits you the best. I like the straight grip and the Bisley grip the best.