Ruger Flattop With Stag Grips???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Hey everyone. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm my suspicions about this Old Model Blackhawk I have in my possession. Is it actually a Flattop with factory stag grips? Serial number is 15056. It has been used for what it was meant for so condition is not high. Finish is faded with scratches and marks. The extractor is also broken. Anyone know where a replacement extractor could be found? It has not been converted and mechanically, except for the extractor, it seems to work as it should. It belongs to a guy I know who's brother bought it new. The brother who bought it was then killed in an auto accident in the 1960's and his former wife is now returning it to the living brother. I don't think the guy would sell it, but if he would, what would a fair price be for one in this condition. Thanks.

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
Yep, this has great character and stories to tell. A shooter with factory stags would be north of $950 I would think.

WOW.

You appear to have a rare "Ross variation" on the .357 Flattop.

The front sight blade and sight base should have wavy/squiggly lines on them. This, as well as the serial number, put the gun right in the middle of the Ross range.

Almost certainly shipped in June of 1956, a Type 1 gun with Type 2 number.

Pristine Ross guns "list" at $1325, and genuine Ruger stags for $575. Condition is important of course, but this is a highly-sought-after piece.

Congratulations!

:) :) :)

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Yes, it does have squiggly lines on it. What is the 'Ross variation'? Just to re-iterate, it is not mine and I think the guy will keep it in the family, but you never know. Also, I thought the serial number put the manufacture date in the 1958 range???

At serial number 4864, for some reason the numbering device added a "1" to the front of the number, creating 14864. This error was not noticed until 15483, at which time the erroneous "1" was deleted.

This series was first publicized by Bill Ross, and has become known as the "Ross Variation". They are Type 1 guns with Type 2 serial numbers

"Normal" Type 2 guns in that range did, in fact, ship in 1958.

:)

street

Hunter
The ejector rod should be the half round version with the small serrated button. That's not an easy one to find. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jim Puke

Hunter
NICE looking gun and generally do not care for stag grips...but I could really get into having a set like those as they do not have a lot of bark.

The gun itself looks "right". It's always interesting trying to "authenticate" the stag grips, though. There were many "after-market" panels available that can be hard to distinguish from the "real thing".

If you could remove the grips and provide some good close-ups of both panels, front and back sides, we could have that discussion. There are some folks here with considerable experience with these, but I'm certainly not one of them.

You can likely find a proper, original replacement ejector rod with a "want to buy" in the Classifieds here. The gun deserves it.

G2

Hunter
BorderGuard said:
The extractor is also broken. Anyone know where a replacement extractor could be found?

As mentioned an original can be found,,,, HOWEVER what make you think it is broken?
I once had a gentleman ask me if I could help him find the correct ejector rod as he thought his was incorrect.
These early guns had what is reffered as flat serrated head/button. They look nothing close to what one might think is the button of recent years (~50 years)

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Yes, the ejector rod is not on the pistol. It is in two pieces with the flat serrated head/button broken off of the rod. And the gentleman came to pick it up today, so I no longer have it in my possession, but I'm going to wager that the grips are original as the gentleman's brother did buy it new and was killed around 1965. Not saying he couldn't have put these grips on, but I believe he would have left it as is. The brother seems to think he'll keep it, but said he would let me know if he decides to sell it. If he does, sounds like you fellas think it would be a good one to pick up. Thanks for all the info.

The stags were not shipped on the guns. They would be shipped along with the gun if so ordered, or sold for retrofitting post-sale.

These look good to me, but as I said, I'm no expert.

BorderGuard

Bearcat
Oh, I see. So were they shipped with two sets of grips because the brother said he did have a set of Ruger grips at home that looked like they came off of a single action. He said they were a black set of grips.

contender

Ruger Guru
A shooter grade Ross variation will still bring fair money compared to normal 357's of that vintage & condition. I'd value that gun with "normal" black rubber grips at about $800. But the proper grips would cost about $100, so figure the gun w/o any grips at $700. Of course, you'd have to replace the ejector rod first as well, and make sure it has the original ER housing. A proper rod can cost about $40.
Next, as noted, seriously sharp, close up pics of the grips, both panels, front & back can help us decide if they are factory ones or a put together set. From what I could see, they do appear to be correct for factory stags, but the devil is in the details. As such, if they are factory stags, then figure about $550, give or take a bit for them. If not factory, I'd still place the grips at about $250-$300.
For your information, only about 800 (approximately) Ross variations are thought to exist.

The gun was almost certainly shipped with the "black plastic" grips in place as they were the "standard issue". If the stags were ordered with the gun, they would likely have been included in the box with the gun.

It's also possible the stags were purchased at a later time. Details, details . . .

VERY good GUN, WITH CHARACTER !! Grips are most likely correct, and if he has the pieces of the ejector rod, it CAN be repaired..................that gun, "properly" restored" would be the cats meow 8) :roll:
If he ever decides to sell it, YOU buy it , and keep it......... :wink:

Latest posts