Ruger Flattop Stag Grip Comparison

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BorderGuard

Bearcat
A little over a month ago, I posted regarding a Ruger Flattop .357 Magnum with stag grips in the 6600 serial number range that I had picked up. I have a friend who also has one of the Ross variants, also with stag grips. The general consensus seemed to be that mine were not factory grips. Please see the link to the thread.

So, today I was finally able to compare the grips on my flattop with the grips on the Ross variant flattop. Previously, my friend stated that he had the original set of black Ruger grips for his Ross variant, which was purchased new by his brother in 1956. Today, he is unable to find those grips, so we're not sure whether he actually had them or not. He did have a set of black grips for a Colt Officer's Model Special in .22 caliber. He's not sure if those are the grips he was thinking of or if he does have the original Ruger grips. Because it was stated he did have the original grips, the general feelings were that the stag grips on his Ross variant were more than likely from the factory. I really could not tell any difference between his stag grips and mine, except that his has 2 holes near the bottom of the grip and mine only has one. The holes all seem to be drilled the same and the staking is quite similar. I will say that I really don't know what I'm looking for though, so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on whether they feel either of these sets came from the Ruger factory. Here's some pictures.

20221230_172251_resized.jpg
20221230_173446_resized.jpg
20221230_172640_resized.jpg
20221230_173731_resized.jpg
20221230_172740_resized.jpg
20221230_172826_resized.jpg
20221230_173224_resized.jpg
20221230_173446_resized.jpg
20221230_173602_resized.jpg

Any more thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,

NikA

Buckeye
I'm no expert on these grips, but I would say the staking does not look similar between the two sets. Looks to me like a round punch was used on your set, with varied success, while the "Ross" set looks like a square tool and very uniformly done (3 stakes per side). Don't know if that means anything as far as authenticity goes.

the grips you show that are marked 'Ross' are Colt stag grips modified to fit the Ruger, the extra hole as well as the funny "cut" ( notch) to the top front of each panel....yes about the same vintage ( age) BUT ones a Colt, the other is for the Ruger.....LOTS and LOTS of stags out there and I still like yours, would take them in a minute...Happy New Year...........................;):cool:

BorderGuard

Bearcat
the grips you show that are marked 'Ross' are Colt stag grips modified to fit the Ruger, the extra hole as well as the funny "cut" ( notch) to the top front of each panel....yes about the same vintage ( age) BUT ones a Colt, the other is for the Ruger.....LOTS and LOTS of stags out there and I still like yours, would take them in a minute...Happy New Year...........................;):cool:
Interesting!!!

krw

Blackhawk
When Factory Ruger stag grips subject gets brought up, its nearly as if Pandora's box has been opened. 3? Suppliers made stag grips for Ruger? I inderstand lots of Stag grips were broken in the staking of the medallions. Been lots of unscrupuos copys made through years. As long as they "match", I buy em cause I like em. When I'm dead and gone then people can decide how "real" they are and what they will pay for them

krw is spot on, years from now our grandchildern and future Ruger collectors will go 'nutz' trying to figure out just what is what , right or wrong........opinions are like BUTTS we all have one !!!:cool::rolleyes:

this is it, say bye -bye to 2022 and best to ALL of you this coming New Year(y)(y)

Johnnu2

Hunter
My guess is that in the years to come, our 'children and grandchildren' will either throw all this stuff in the trash bin or sell the whole mess for $100..... Yes, there WILL be EXCEPTIONS, but the values will still be a burden to ascertain in MOST cases. On two occasions I personally saw collections thrown out or sold for 1/10th the value. No they weren't guns or gun stuff, but they were treasured by the deceased owner and valueless to the families. Sad... but true. Hopefully, I'm wrong (it's happened before).
p.s. I'd prefer the set with one placement hole fer sure.
Perhaps one of our stag experts will be able to 'testify' to never seeing an orig. set with two holes???:)
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE,
J.

BorderGuard

Bearcat
First, thanks for all the discussion on my 2 posts. From the information you all provided, I think I have learned something. That there is really no way to know if any of these stag grips came from the factory unless you happen to have the original box that states so on the end label. Since they were provided by 3 or more different companies, I don't believe anyone can say with any certainty that the holes would all be drilled the same or that the staking on the Ruger medallions would all be done the same way. Furthermore, since Ruger did not manufacture these grips, should any of them be considered factory grips, because really all Ruger was doing was shipping the grips manufactured by a separate company along with the revolver. As was previously stated, Ruger didn't even install the grips, they were just shipped in the same box. I guess it could be successfully argued that because they were ordered from Ruger and Ruger shipped them, they could be considered 'factory grips', and I do get that point. I guess my feelings, like some others, are that if they are correct time period grips, they look good, and you like them, buy them. The old stag grips have value whether they were shipped by Ruger or not.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The grips tagged as Ross are clearly, like rugerguy said, non-factory due to the two locator pin holes. They may have been made for a Colt and then modified with the Ruger hole later, or an aftermarket grip maker might have sold them that way and advertised them as fitting either Colt or Ruger. But the medallions would have been added later. Ruger factory grips only have the one locator pin hole.

The second set also looks suspicious. First issue is that Ruger stag grips don't typically have that much "bark". They tend to be smoother like the pattern on the other set. Secondly, Ruger would have rejected those due to the bark channel under the medallion in the left panel. The factory stags were cut smooth where the medallions were to be placed.

Without seeing the backs, I would have guessed the "Ross" set as factory and the "Mine" set as non-factory. But seeing the back also eliminates the "Ross" set from being factory.