Ruger Flat Top .44 Barrel Diameter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Niederlander

Bearcat
Hello! Can anyone on here with an original Flat Top .44 tell me what the barrel diameter is right ahead of the barrel shank? Thanks!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
My old model FT 44 barrel is .787" and my new model SBH is .779". Ruger had to keep them within a consistent range or they'd have to custom fit the ejector rod housings for each different caliber barrel. That's why the .44 barrels make such great replacement barrels when converting FT 357s to 44 Spl.

Niederlander

Bearcat
I'm converting a FT to .44 Special. Do you have to use a Super Blackhawk cylinder pin to clear the barrel? The .357 pin interferes with the barrel.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No. What vintage and diameter is your barrel?

I used the original 357 cyl pin, but it's very close. A SBH pin will be too long for the FT frame but easy enough to shorten on the back end. What I would do is put a slight crescent in the top side of the front end of the 357 pin, similar to the cut in the collar of the SBH pin.

Niederlander

Bearcat
Serial # is 25XXX, wherever that puts it. (I'll look it up later.) The barrel diameter is .750. Would the Belt Mountain pins eliminate the problem if I got one for the Old Model Blackhawk?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Niederlander said:
Serial # is 25XXX, wherever that puts it. (I'll look it up later.) The barrel diameter is .750. Would the Belt Mountain pins eliminate the problem if I got one for the Old Model Blackhawk?

No, they all have bigger heads on the cyl pin than the factory. You could polish down the .357 head ~ .020" (.010" per side) to the size of the hole, 1/4" diameter like the single six pins.

Latest posts