Ruger Factory Scope Ring Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1ruger

Single-Sixer
Damn, I hate when this happens!!!
Last year I got a Bushnell 4200 Elite scope for my Ruger GSR. I was busy at the time and didn't have the time to properly mount the scope so I had it done by a local gunsmith. Last week I realized that the scope is leaking and causing it to fog up when the humidity is high. Last night I tried to take the scope off to send back to factory. I tried to take off the screws to the rings but found them on very tight. I used the little "L" wrench that came with the rings but when I turned it hard the tip broke off. I used the other end and finally got one screw off. When I tried it on the second screw the tip broke off again. I looked at the one screw I got off and it seems to have red locktite on it instead of the blue. I got one off so I have 7 more to go.
Anybody know what size that little wrench is?
Anybody make them a little harder than the factory one?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I would take it back to the Red Loctite gunsmith and let him take it off while I politely called Ruger for a new torque wrench. I think a little heat is needed to loosen the Loctite. :D

SonofBassMan

Bearcat
Yes - T10 driver - leaves enough metal around screw head vs. T15 type

I have a collection of Ruger factory T10 wrenches and never use them. Your local hardware store will have good T10 bits and a driver.

No need for Loctite of any kind for ring screws. I have never used Loctite on ring screws and have never had them become loose. Rings screws should be treated differently than base screws.

Be careful to not squash your scope tube, those 4 screws per ring can exert large amounts of tension and tube compression causing damage to scopes like dented tubes and possibly interfering with scope internals. There also might be the possibility that the scope leaking was caused by excessive compression by scope rings.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
I didn't want to take it back to the same moron to unscrew it so I picked up a Snap On T10 driver today. I got a little acetone to soak on each screw for few minutes and then got to work. It only took few minutes to get all 8 screws off. It looked like it was torqued correctly as the scope tube didn't have any marks on it and the scope didn't move in last 10 months and 350 rounds. It was just that red Locktite that was problem.