RUGER D/A EYE CANDY

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Speaking of "lost LE contracts": Here's a Ruger CHP along side the S&W model that it failed to replace together with the 50 year CHP commerative, a S&W model 19. A Ruger FFL (dealer) won the CHP contract and had the guns produced only to have the CHP go to court to overturn the low bid and stay with S&W for "compatablity" issues.

Terr T.
I'll bet there's an interesting "backstory" on that little situation. :oops::rolleyes::poop:

Terry T

Buckeye
I'll bet there's an interesting "backstory" on that little situation. :oops::rolleyes::poop:
I acutually managed to find the letter from the CHP commissioner!
Since the Ruger Security Six fits the same holsters and takes the same speed loaders as the "K" frame S&W revolvers then in use, these arguments were totally bogus! 😒
The cylinder release is different and the amorers would need additional training but..
We had the same issue a few years ago when SIG was a low bidder by $4M. CHP went to court and got the bid overturned in favor of, you guessed it, S&W.
S&W stopped making the special 4006 so the CHP went out to bid - Glock and S&W were the bidders - Yup, S&W's M&P.
My son is a CHP officer. He does like the M&P and says he can hit better with it than the 4006. He's just been certified as a Range Instructor so has a better understanding of the sidearms than most.

1661282627682.jpeg

1661283403937.jpeg

Last edited:

lovemydals

Buckeye
Dennis,
How did it letter from Ruger?
Terry
Terry,

Per Ruger, it was produced in August 1972 in the Newport, New Hampshire facility. It's designated as model RDA-34 and chambered in .357 Magnum. It was shipped to J. T. Ruger in Newport, New Hampshire in September 1972. No mention of the 9mm cylinder assembly.

With the production date of August 1972, it will be considered a Curio & Relic (older than 50 years) the first of September. Therefore, next month I will register it with California. It's currently residing in my LGS. Yeah!!!

lmd

PS. I will post a photo as soon as I can figure it out. It's a work in progress. Stay tuned.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter

If you double click on the photo, you can enlarge it to see how nice it is. The box is numbered to this Security-Six.
Dennis,
The fact that it belonged to Tom Ruger is all the Provenance one could ask for, you Sir are a very fortunate man!
Thank you for sharing a remarkable piece.
Terry
"TRULY A GRAIL GUN" In Any Ruger D/A COLLECTION!! "WHAT AN OUTSTANDING REVOLVER !!"

Last edited:

lovemydals

Buckeye
Thank you.

Definitely a one gun display. Now to find Thom Ruger memorabilia items.
Dennis,
The fact that it belonged to Tom Ruger is all the Provenance one could ask for, you Sir are a very fortunate man!
Thank you for sharing a remarkable piece.
Terry
"TRULY A GRAIL GUN" In Any Ruger D/A COLLECTION!! "WHAT AN OUTSTANDING REVOLVER !!"

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer

Well respected member RoninPA has this thread up selling parts. I know the title says Six Series but Ron would be my first PM for SP and Redhawk parts too.

Oh, and I bought a selection of Six Series parts from Ron a couple of years back. A "just in case" buy including even a couple of cylinders with cranes, Etc. Great guy to deal with.
Thank you so much for this info, @hittman. I have contacted RoninPA to ask him if he has any available.

Latest posts