Ruger cylinder ID old model vs new model 45 acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a Bisley 45lc that has a second cylinder fitted for 45acp. There is a groove through the ratchet end there is also a large S. Not that it matters but How can I identify which version it is from?
Also it has a 4 5/8 barrel with the billboard on the underside of the barrel. IF I remember correctly the gun is 1989. Would ruger had fit a shorter barrel? I figure it was fit outside of the factory
Jeff

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Does the ACP cyl have a partial serial # engraved on the front face that matches the gun #?

If the 45 Colt cyl doesn't have the Bisley engraving, the barrel may be original but not the Bisley grip frame.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Does the ACP cyl have a partial serial # engraved on the front face that matches the gun #?

If the 45 Colt cyl doesn't have the Bisley engraving, the barrel may be original but not the Bisley grip frame.
I believe I ran the number from Ruger's site. ( dont remember for sure. Ive been with my Dad the last three weeks, he passed away Friday) I remember it was shipped as a Bisley. The cylinder is a fluted cyl. And has been fitted, it appears that the cylinder has been faced. No numbers are present

gunzo

Buckeye
One 45 Bisley in 88-89. It was 45 Colt, blue, 7 1/2" barrel with a possibility of a fluted cylinder rather than the typical roll marked one. The warning label would have been on the left side of the barrel.

The grooved ACP cylinder would likely be an Old Model or early(1973-74) New Model.

Sounds like someone went the extra mile to get just what they wanted.