Ruger Customer Service, (Repairs),...Outstanding!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gene

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure if this is the correct board to post this, if it isn't, moderators please move. Thank you.

I have owned Ruger revolvers and pistols for at least 50 years. I have never had a problem with any of them so I had no experience with their customer service.

Awhile back I purchased a used NM Blackhawk in .45 Colt from a member here. It was manufactured in 1980 but appeared in good mechanical operating condition. I have arthritis in my shooting hand and couldn't stand the standard BH hammer as I had to rotate the gun down in my hand to reach the hammer to cock it.

A couple of members here recommended switching out the stock hammer for a Super BH hammer as it would be easier to reach. I purchased one and followed the directions, (video), on Ruger's site for disassembly of the BH. I installed the new Super BH hammer and reassembled the gun according to their reassembly instructions but the gun wouldn't operate correctly.

I got ahold of member Hondo44 and asked him for any tips. He was very gracious, (thank's my friend!), and gave me some tips but no matter how many times I tried, the gun still wouldn't operate as it should.

Now I'm not a gunsmith or a talented handyman but I'm fairly adept at fixing things but this was frustrating me beyond belief.

I decided to just send it to Ruger to have them sort it out. I called them and they said it would be $90.00-$130.00 depending upon if there was something wrong with the hammer and it needed replacing and those prices included the standard $30.00 return shipping cost. I said that would be okay and they instructed me how to ship the gun to them.

I neglected to ask them for an estimate of how long this might take but I went and shipped the gun to them. About a week later they sent an e-mail stating they had received the gun and would make every effort to expedite repairs.

Then approximately two weeks later, I received another e-mail stating the gun had been serviced and shipped back to me. They provided a tracking number and date when it would arrive. I was kind of taken back as there was no e-mail or phone call stating what the charges for services were.

The gun arrived exactly when they said it would. It was expertly packed in a Ruger cardboard box that was in another outer cardboard box. Luckily so as there was a fairly large gash on one end of the outer box that had penetrated BOTH boxes where I'm sure UPS had thrown it around somewhere down the line.

Now here's where it gets good! I opened the boxes and luckily there was no damage to the contents. Inside was my gun, a very nice Ruger trademark embossed microfiber polishing cloth, some literature, an owner's manual, the original rear sight and an invoice.

Here's where it gets GREAT!! The gun had the Super BH hammer installed and was functioning like a new gun and the rear sight was now a new upgraded one! The invoice stated that they had replaced all internals, replaced trigger, cylinder latch, all springs, plungers and rear sight! It also stated they had adjusted timing, end shake repaired, safety functions checked and test fired!

Here's where it gets UNBELIEVEABLE!!! NO CHARGE!!! So basically I now have a NM Blackhawk that's completely brand new mechanically that Ruger rebuilt for free. My head's still spinning over this! :)

I want to profusely thank Ruger and I also want to thank the members here that recommended the Super BH trigger to me, which by the way is now much easier for me to cock and a special thanks to Hondo44 for his generous help.

Customer service doesn't get better than this!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Your experience is very similar to a couple of mine with Ruger service.
One, I bought a 12 year old but new in box BH Bisley .41 mag that had the front sight soldered on crooked.it came back in a couple weeks completely refinished and done to a much higher level than that model ever was done in production. The blue
Job is like what was used on the early Super BH. And all done a no charge except for my cost to send it in.

Gene

Single-Sixer
Looks like you've experienced the Ruger goodness too! I swear, I've NEVER received customer service this good. Like you, this whole thing only cost me the price of shipping it to them.

The first time I received their generosity, I had purchased a blued adjustable sighted Bearcat. I wanted to change out all the external screws to stainless just for contrast and something different. I called Ruger to buy the complete set and they said no problem and NO CHARGE and sent the complete set right out!

In fact, when I started this whole hammer swap thing with the Blackhawk, I noticed some of the external screws were a little buggered and called them to order a complete new set and again, they shipped them out at no charge.

I don't expect to get anything for free but man, Ruger is something special with all this and I will support them for life!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bravo Gene!

Who wouldda' thunk it. Apparently the hammer didn't work with the old trigger; worn or screwed up somehow, perhaps.

If you go to Ruger.com, you can email the CEO directly and put in the good word, just copy and paste your 1st post above.

Gene

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Bravo Gene!

Who wouldda' thunk it. Apparently the hammer didn't work with the old trigger; worn or screwed up somehow, perhaps.

If you go to Ruger.com, you can email the CEO directly and put in the good word, just copy and paste your 1st post above.

You may be right on the trigger Jim as it might have been the problem all along and gave me such frustration. Why else would they replace it?

By the looks of it though on the invoice, they replaced just about everything. This gun was made in 1980 so I guess they thought they would be generous and replace all the internals.

Great idea on e-mailing the CEO. I'll do that. Thanks.

EDIT: Ruger CEO contacted!

chuck

Blackhawk
I'v had a couple of problems over the years that I created and they fixed them for me for NO CHARGE Ruger people are great.