Ruger Custom Shop GP100 in 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The other thread about the TK Moon Clips made me get this one out of the safe for a few pictures. I haven't shot it in a while. Honestly, the TK moon clips being a little bit thicker I believe are causing some problems. As the gun gets hotter, the cylinder binds up on the thicker moonclips. The tolerances are pretty tight.

But the gun is pretty amazing. As I said in the other thread, the all steel revolver just soaks up any recoil. It's very pleasant to shoot. And the fiber optic front sight is amazingly bright.

Anyway, I wanted to post some pictures. I'm not sure if I have or not of this gun. I bought it back in early 2020, when all the gun stores were fat and sassy with guns and ammo. www.grabagun.com is a great source of new guns at pretty decent prices. And unfortunately for my credit card, they are about 10 miles away, so I don't even have to pay shipping.

But Ruger really packaged this Custom Shop revolver up nicely. It's got an awesome hard case, a "letter of authenticity" a Ruger medallion, and some other neat stuff.

But as an 8 shot revolver, it's pretty fantastic. The space-age cuts in the stainless barrel shroud help cool down the barrel significantly, and just look cool. It's a gun Buck Rogers would carry in a heartbeat.

the case...
IMG-2934.JPG

IMG-2935.JPG

IMG-2938.JPG

IMG-2939.JPG

IMG-2941.JPG

IMG-2942.JPG

I bought the loading tool and some moon clips from TK Custom. They really are good quality. I'm not sure how fond I am of loading and unloading moon clips. It's not bad, but just an extra step, and if you forget to bring the loader or de-mooner with you to the range, it's a pain. I've forgotten a couple times...
IMG-2943.JPG

brutus

Bearcat
Kevin, I got the same Ruger when it first came out, actually the serial # is 70. I have 10 TK moon clips and have not had any trouble with cylinder binding. This is an amazingly accurate revolver. I believe the Ruger moon clips are thinner?

contender

Ruger Guru
I handled one of the first ones at SHOT a few years back. NICE guns & well built! That one looks really "special" to me! :D
Thanks for sharing!

JStacy

Blackhawk
two questions.
How does it shoot accuracy wise at 25 yards and how thick is the barrel that has the long forcing cone?

two questions.
How does it shoot accuracy wise at 25 yards and how thick is the barrel that has the long forcing cone?
JStacy:
I'm not the best shot in the world, I don't compete or anything like that, it's just me against myself out there. Lots of times I just sit down and relax and shoot off of a sandbag. I love good triggers and concentrate on the trigger pull often.

This revolver has an incredibly smooth, and silky double action. No hang ups mid pull or anything. If you closed your eyes, you probably wouldn't fee the hammer being drawn back at all.

I haven't measured the barrel, but it looks to be a normal sized and thickness barrel.

contender

Ruger Guru
Jim, if my faded memory is correct,, the barrel is actually 6" long. BUT,, notice the shorter cylinder & the barrel extending into the frame window. That way,, you get the appearance of a shorter revolver,, AND it balances quite well.