Ruger Commander Range Review -- Ransom Rest

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
In 2011 –100 years after the introduction of the 1911, Ruger entered the 1911 market of which many believed already to be saturated. Ruger proved there was still room for another mass produced 1911 on the market with great sales of it's SR1911 which I previously reviewed http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1612 and conducted Ransom Rest test http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1660

Two years later Ruger again surprised us by entering the 1911 Commander market. This 65 years after the Government conducted testing to issue military officers a lightweight combat pistol. The original offering had the frame made of hardened aluminum of which Colt built in 3 calibers 9mm, 38Super and 45ACP. Ruger in it's offering remained with the 45ACP cartridge. Call me old fashion but Ruger also stuck with good old American steel for the frame which makes it a bit heavier than the original Colt offering, but there's magic when holding cold steel in 1911 ergonomics. The frame made of 415 Steel investment casting and the slide from 415 CNC machined bar stock is a perfect match, to form the beautiful Ruger Commander 1911.
DSCN0025.jpg

Complete Review
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3416
http://www.dayattherange.com is a self funded (no advertisements ) website dedicated to provide unbiased reviews. It is the owner and the author's way of giving back and sharing a great sport and part of America's tradition. Stop by and let us know what you think about this article, by leaving comments.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the write up.

My SR1911 CMD is closing in on the 2000 round mark and has never failed to feed, fire and eject a single one of those nearly 2K rounds.

Next I'd like Ruger to address the front sight issue. I think most people would be more than willing to pony up another $20 to get a machined steel front sight that is pinned and can go the long haul.

The 1911 is my favorite full size platform and it's just a joy to shoot, especially soft shooting cast lead loads that toss 200-230 grain bullet out around 800 fps give or take.

I also like all-stainless. I will shoot this pistol as long as there are still ammo and parts for it, or it's time for me to check out, which ever comes first.

Snake45

Hawkeye
mr.revolverguy said:
The original offering had the frame made of hardened aluminum of which Colt built in 3 calibers 9mm, 38Super and 45ACP. Ruger in it's offering remained with the 45ACP cartridge. Call me old fashion but Ruger also stuck with good old American steel for the frame which makes it a bit heavier than the original Colt offering, but there's magic when holding cold steel in 1911 ergonomics.
IIRC, weight on the original Commander is 26 or 27 ounces. Colt introduced the all-steel "Combat Commander" in the mid-'70s, and these weighed 35 or 36 ounces (vs 39 for a full-size steel 1911).

edlmann

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
Colt introduced the all-steel "Combat Commander" in the mid-'70s . . .

1970, if Wikipedia and I remember correctly. At that time, any Colt pistol was made of unobtanium since the factory was fully engaged in M-16 production. Came back from 1st tour in SEA and couldn't find one to save my you-know-what. Got backed into the Browning HP.

Snake45

Hawkeye
edlmann said:
Snake45 said:
Colt introduced the all-steel "Combat Commander" in the mid-'70s . . .

1970, if Wikipedia and I remember correctly.
I was thinking it was a couple years later, to cash in on the "combat conversion" market that starting popping up in the very early '70s. Pretty sure I have Gun Digests of the early '70s, will have to see if I can find the first one that mentions the CC.

BTW, I've recently come across sources that said the S&W M59 was introduced in 1969 or 1970. There might have been 59 prototypes then, but I clearly recall the "sneak preview" photo of one in a summer 1972 issue of Shooting Times. And it was a big deal when that gun was written up in the early 1973 gun rags. (Unless you were a cop, it was extremely difficult to actually buy a model 59 until about 1976.)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
I was thinking it was a couple years later, to cash in on the "combat conversion" market that starting popping up in the very early '70s. Pretty sure I have Gun Digests of the early '70s, will have to see if I can find the first one that mentions the CC.
Okay, earliest book I could readily lay hands on last night was the 1973 Guns & Ammo Annual, which mentions the CC in its buyer's guide section. So it was on the market no later than 1972. I'd thought it was a couple years later than that. :?

dakota1911

Buckeye
I thought Colt Introduced the all steel Combat Commander in 1970. Same year the MkIV Series 70 was introduced with the collet barrel bushing and the first year Gold Cup was roll marked on the slide of the Colt GCNM. Saying that it is/was Colt so no doubt examples could show up that were made in 1969.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Dude! You spent all that money on a Ransom Rest and we don't get any grid-paper grouping from real-world commercial ammo?
One word - "outstanding" is all?
What does that mean?

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
I didn't spend any money on the ransom rest not one red cent it was a donation. Again notice my site is unsponsored and meant to be that way to ensure we provide as much of an unbiased or uninfluenced review as possible. Having said that the authors are very dedicated to providing quality reviews to assist others looking for information on firearms. This is one of the largest unsponsored sites on the net and I am proud of that fact. Factory ammo today is very expensive but maybe if prices return to something a little more normal I will plan to do ransom test with factory ammunition.

Thanks again for reading the article and giving input.

DGW1949

Hunter
Went to Krogers last week and noticed that a small can of pork 'n beans is .89 .
On the way home from work Sat night, I noticed that gasoline had gone up another nickel.
Two months ago, I was buying green-tip 5.56 for .44 per round....now it's back up to almost .60 again.

Just sayin' that I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting on ammo prices "to return to something a little more normal".
Me thinks that what we're seeing now IS the new "normal".

DGW

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Good review, and valuable info for those who are considering buying a SR1911CMD. I don't think there is going to be a new normal. Like DGW1949 said, we are the new normal. Bhk

mr.revolverguy

Bearcat
You all are most likely correct. Let's just say at what I feel to be a decent price and can afford for 45ACP factory ammunition I will purchase and see how factory does in the CMD. :)

DaveShooter

Bearcat
As far as ammo I try to pick up 1 box of different cal's a month. Ex : 1 month 45 acp- next month 44 mag etc..
That way at least have something to keep on hand if all you know what breaks loose....

I haven't seen .44 mag in over a year! .45 acp at least weekly. I don't have a SR1911 yet, but definitely contemplating it. It is all Cholo's fault-he let me shoot his in Fredericksburg last year.
gramps

sousana

Single-Sixer
Ammo we have tons here both at gunstores, walmarts, dicks, and basspro.

I recently took my wife to a nail salon she found out about at work, across from the salon I noticed a new tactical store, I went in, and the had cases of ammo. When I left, I had 4 cases of 45colt cowboy loads, 9 cases of winchester 45ball, 3 cases of 44mag, 3 cases 44spl, 8 cases of 38spl and 8 of 357mag, 6 500rd battle packs of 30-06 & 7 of .308

Its a good thing the wife didntnotice we were slightly trunk heavy. I will gladly take her anywhere she wants. I'm heading back Monday, gonna buy the rest of his ammo, even any I don't need, gives me an excuse to buy a new gun.

And before anyone yells hoarder, I shoot 750-1000 rounds a week thru my carry weapons, and around 1k thru comp and for fun.