Ruger Chargers - Price high?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbzdel

Bearcat
I brought my 10/22 from Walmart last week for $230. I am also interested in picking up a Charger.. Just to have something similar to the 10/22 yet different haha!

Well I called 10 gun shops yesterday and 3 pawn shops, and the cheapest one I found was $290 used at the pawn shop and $310 new at the gun shop. Most expensive was $390!!!

Just wondering, this seems high for a cut down 10/22 can I expect it to come down in price so should I but if now for $310 before it goes up any higher? (I would rather have the new one for $20 more)

Thanks
Chris

CraigC

Hawkeye
You have to bear in mind that they would plan on selling a lot fewer Chargers than 10/22 carbines. So figure in some production cost increases just for that. Then, the Charger comes with a costlier laminated stock over the Carbine's cheap birch. The Charger also includes a soft case and bipod. So yeah, just because the barrel's 8" shorter and there is no butt does not necessarily mean it costs less to produce. That said, I paid $279 for mine, reported to be just a few dollars over wholesale.

cbzdel

Bearcat
CraigC":cwp45kn9 said:
You have to bear in mind that they would plan on selling a lot fewer Chargers than 10/22 carbines. So figure in some production cost increases just for that. Then, the Charger comes with a costlier laminated stock over the Carbine's cheap birch. The Charger also includes a soft case and bipod. So yeah, just because the barrel's 8" shorter and there is no butt does not necessarily mean it costs less to produce. That said, I paid $279 for mine, reported to be just a few dollars over wholesale.

Never thought of it that way, you put it into perspective!

I will have to give it some thought.. I just got my 10/22 so maybe I should have some fun with that before buying the charger.. I don't want to like one more than the other and then ignore one of them haha!

I also want a Mark III so maybe I should get that before the Charger..

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I've got a 10/22, a 22/45 and a Charger, and while I love all 3, the Charger gets shot the least. It's a great gun, but end up putting more rounds through the other two. I traded for mine...I don't even remember what I traded now but I know I was happy :)

You would probably be happier with a 2nd 10/22 before you break down and get a midget 10/22, the charger. They are neat but I, like ab4ka, like shooting the longer version much better....

I paid $350 for a new one this past January and keep in mind after you pay what ever for one... you've got to put some type of sighting system on it... unless it is used and comes with one.

9x19

Hunter
Don't forget manufacturers have to pay a federal tax on every handgun made. (Unless it's sold to a LE Dept.) That ads $20 (IIRC).

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I got one of the close-outs that gave away Chargers for $229 a year or so back. I believe they changed to the molded housing after that/ I paid 279 for my second one.

Let's say you fork over $280 for a NIB Charger. You get a first-rate bipod that's worth at least 40 bucks. A huge Ruger-logo lockable zippered soft case that will even handle 10" barreled Blackhawks easily. That's worth 15-20 clams I figger. And don't forget the big white box!

Now the cost of that Charger approaches $220 for a nifty, very accurate 10-shot 22 handgun that is wayyy more portable than a 10/22, IMO just as accurate or better than your typical dime-a-dozen hardwood 10/22 carbine.

Decades ago, one could have said the Anschutz Exemplar was "just a cut-down left-hand 54". But they'd be wrong then as now. The Charger outclasses a 10/22 in practiced hands.

Part of the reason got my Charger was to get another 10/22 type receiver and one with a legal 10" barrel... Even though my plan way in the back of my mind is that if the world goes to 'heck' and all laws fall apart... I would convert all my 10/22s and chargers to open bolt full auto with 10- 16" barrels.

I've got a good friend who can afford to pay to play the government game and he has a 10/22 with folding stock, 12" barrel, suppressor and open bolt full auto receiver.... thing runs about 1100 rounds a minute and is actually a fun full auto to shoot... you can actually hit what you are aiming at with it.