Ruger cases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Palu

Bearcat
So, my friend bought a Springfield and it came with a great case. My Ruger GP100 came with somewhat of a cheesy case that's just hard plastic. Do you guys even keep this around? If so, do you line it with felt or foam? I was hoping for at least some cheap foam lining where the gun goes...

Redstick

Single-Sixer
You'll appreciate the Gray Plastic Ruger Boxes more after you aquire more guns; they stack nicely! :) The Gray Plastic dosen't scratch the steel either. I've seen some scratched up guns and the owner's claimed it was from being in their box, but it dosen't seem to be happening to any of mine.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Redstick":24h1zlmj said:
You'll appreciate the Gray Plastic Ruger Boxes more after you aquire more guns; they stack nicely! :) The Gray Plastic dosen't scratch the steel either. I've seen some scratched up guns and the owner's claimed it was from being in their box, but it dosen't seem to be happening to any of mine.

Redstick,
You can still get "Box Burn" with the plastic case's from the gun moving around. I put small pads under the high points of the gun so that risk is cut down some what. Of course you are right about being stackable!!
That is a big plus.
Terry

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have lined several cases with felt. Totally protects the gun when transporting or for storage.

I give the felt a light spray of silicone to condition it. S&W has been using felt lined boxes for years. :D

000_0001.jpg

..Jimbo

Redstick

Single-Sixer
T.A. WORKMAN":1orjw3ut said:
Redstick":1orjw3ut said:

Redstick,
You can still get "Box Burn" with the plastic case's from the gun moving around. I put small pads under the high points of the gun so that risk is cut down some what. Of course you are right about being stackable!!
That is a big plus.
Terry

Box burn and scratches is two different things in my book. Y'all don't keep the plastic bag to wrap it in? Or wax paper in the case of older guns?

As someone stated above, Be careful with foam or any oil base material. I work at an Auction House here and you would be suprised at how many guns we see that were stored in really nice display cases that have stuck to the gun's finish. We had about 10 other brand SA's that they spent alot of time cleaning. Some are beyond repair without rebluing. Stick with felt or cotton or all natural material and you we be ok.
We had a nice Winchester that he stored in the foam case that reacted with the oil that he used to clean it the ruined the finish. A $1000 rifle sold for $300 due to that.

Hobie

Single-Sixer
For preservation of the firearm I'm all for the cheesy plastic cases. I've actually bought them for some of my Rugers. My other choice for long term "storage" is the MTM box for long term storage NOT the cases with foam. Foam can be death to your firearm over the long term. The plastic cases do stack well, too!

I don't store in the original paper or cardboard boxes so that they can also be preserved. They will break down if even one other box is stacked on them (with pistol inside). I don't store my pistols loose in the safe because it is so easy for them to get "whacked" one against the other. They are safe in the plastic box. Even the best pistol rugs might allow a stock dent or plastic stock crack.

Rclark

Hunter
Even the best pistol rugs might allow a stock dent or plastic stock crack.
Well, hasn't happened in 25 or years, but I suppose it could somehow happen :) . More likely to get 'dinged' while in a holster in the field (that has happened) which just gives a gun 'character'. I feel they work really well and I can stuff 'em anywhere without having guns rattling around inside. Don't stack well that is true, but other than that.... If not in a holster, it's in the rug. Now, those silly external locks just find a black hole to disappear into or get used if I need a lock for a shed or something...

BTW, for long term storage ... the gun will get sold.... If isn't being used, it's useless, therefore must go.... :eek: .

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm one of the folks who want the original boxes for my guns. I'm nostalgic for the 2 piece cardboard ones,, but I understand the economics of it. Plus, I bet a lot less guns get damaged in shipping in the hard plastic shell cases.
A BIG +1 on NOT storing a firearm in any kind of foam. I too have seen way too many guns ruined because of that. Since my space in my safe is somewhat limited due to the volume, I remove a lot of my guns from their boxes, and store them in soft cloth, gun oil socks. Some of the more valuable ones are kept with their 2 piece boxes, but the paperwork inside is in a plastic bag, while the gun resides in a soft cloth in the box.

So, if any of y'all have any of those old plastic boxes you don't want,, I'll pay the shipping as I need several for guns I got w/o their boxes.

Palu

Bearcat
Thanks. I didn't know foam was that harmful. I guess I'll line the box with felt like Jimbo did.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
VHRAM":23cj6hi0 said:
I just picked up 2 of the plastic staking boxs your refering to , theyre great. I wouldnt mind picking up 2-3 more if I could find them.

RUGER sells 'em.

Wheel Gunner

Bearcat
Just the other night I noticed that my high polished SS Vaquero had a couple flat spots on it from being toted around in the factory plastic box.

When buying used pistols, whether or not it has the factory box, papers etc. can e a deal breaker to me. But in contrast, I'll definitely not be using the plastic box for transporting any longer. Its gun rugs from here on out.

Rclark

Hunter
When buying used pistols, whether or not it has the factory box, papers etc. can e a deal breaker to me
errr. Why? The gun will function just fine without a box, and a manual that tells you this is 'dangerous', or a fired case, idiot lock, etc. ... I am quite sure it won't know the difference when you shoot it... ;) .

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag":28iql8qm said:
I have lined several cases with felt. Totally protects the gun when transporting or for storage.
I give the felt a light spray of silicone to condition it. S&W has been using felt lined boxes for years. :D

000_0001.jpg

..Jimbo
So whats the story with the grips and trigger? That made my ears perk up.

street

Hunter
It's always best to keep boxes, paperwork or anything that came with your gun. Even If you are a shooter not a collector, even if this stuff doesn't mean anything to you, it's still best to keep everything. As every one knows when you go to sell a gun a collector will give you more then a person that only buying a gun to shoot. And a collector wants the package to be complete, and with all of the goodies. So when you go to sell your firearm, having a complete package will help you get the best price.

Back in the 50s Ruger put out an ad stating that his guns were not to be put in a drawer and kept, but they were made to be used and shot. Back then no one thought that they would ever be considered a collectible firearm. Well even Bill Ruger was wrong, because his guns are collectible and well sought after. The next time you throw away one of those gray plastic boxes, think about that cheap 2 piece box, that Ruger only paid a few cents for back in the mid 50s, sold for on E-bay a few months ago. You know the one that had the Green Wreath on the lid. That should be an incentive to hold on to everything. Because no one knows what going to be valuable in the future. I'm sure that the grand children of the Indians that sold Manhatten Island for a few trinkets would know this beter then anyone.

Wheel Gunner

Bearcat
Rclark":1chejdxv said:
When buying used pistols, whether or not it has the factory box, papers etc. can e a deal breaker to me
errr. Why? The gun will function just fine without a box, and a manual that tells you this is 'dangerous', or a fired case, idiot lock, etc. ... I am quite sure it won't know the difference when you shoot it... ;) .

See Mr Streets post above for one. And some, like originality, which does command a premium. But you are right, it really doesn't affect the shooting part :D