Ruger Carbine or 77 44, Which One

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Only a few more days of deer hunting left here in SE Virginia. I'm thinking of swapping my 7mm Rem Mag Whitworth for a 44 carbine or 7744 by next year. I've killed a bunch of stuff with my 77 50 and would like the same feel. I messed up my right hand a few years back, so I am pretty slow with a bolt. On the other hand, I'm a reloader and cheap, so throwing brass away makes me cranky. It'll be for deer and bears.
Before I make a change, what would you choose?
Bfly

mike7mm08

Buckeye
77/44 is the way to go. A real stock, never a fan of those curved butts except on the 10/22.Better trigger to start with and an easy upgrade to even better trigger if you choose. Easier to unload being magazine fed. Have the option of lead bullets, no gas system to plug up. Lower cost. Original carbines or the later deerfield carbine can bring 50 to 100 percent more than the 77/44.

I own all the 44 rifle options that Ruger has offered over the years. The 77/44 is probable the most practical. Other option for you might be the 96/44, the lever action. Only complaint I have is the buttstock. The lever throw is very short and easy. Might be easier for you to work than a bolt action. They bring a premium over the 77/44 as they are also discontinued, tend to not be as crazy priced as the the versions of the semiauto though.

The 96/44 is my favorite version of the carbines, now that I found a custom stocked version. Lucked into one with a fulllength mannlicher style stock and sporter style butt with a flat butt and recoil pad. Close to AAA walnut as well.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
You can no longer handle a bolt gun swift and smooth and you think you want to trade it for
another bolt gun because of something that happens AFTER the shot? You've got to be kidding.
Get the carbine (assumed it's the original), it's a darling, small and slick and you'll be shooting quick and hitting quick. Clean up is for later, when the party's over.

grobin

Blackhawk
Well the carbine is nice to shoot, but it's out of production and is getting expensive for what it is. The 77 44 is a nice rifle and current production; but it's not trivial to alter the bolt.

Frankly, having lived in Virginia the 44 isn't a bad choice. But I'd go for the 300BLK myself. It's essentially a 30-30 without the tubular mag limitation. You would have a choice of the: Ruger American Rifle® Ranch, Mini-14, or a 556 with a 300BLK upper. The last is a lot more money, I have one, but it has it's warts. If I was doing it I'd go for the Mini. However; if you want a bolt the Ruger American Rifle® : Ranch handles similarly to the 77 and like it is current production. One big advantage of the 300BLK is it can be used with a suppressor. Nice for Va hunting.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Really only one question to ask yourself, are you shooting offhand or not?

I'm experienced with most things 44 and the 77/44 recoils way more than one expects and must be held still until that bullet exits. There is some flaw with low bullet velocity, rifle weight, and recoil that seems to get you moving before the bullet clears. The 180gr Rem bullets work much better in this regard but the flame is something.

On the plus side, the rifle is one hole accurate. Each and every rifle I've tried, with tons of different ammunition is one hole accurate, Only when held down.

I'm gonna talk bold here and say unless the fella weighs about 200lbs or better, he cannot shoot the 77/44 worth crap without being braced. Nobody here will convince me otherwise because I've seen enough different sized fellas shooting it.

If you drop that 77/44 into a Boyds Laminate its a different animal but changes the whole trim feel of the plastic stock.

Its a hell of a rifle but for shootable loafing rifle the 77/357 is better. A couple of years back I did a 44 Rifle cleanout and the decision came down to accuracy and how shootble it was. Believe it or not, the Henry BBS 16" Carbine is the one I kept. I sold some very expensive rifles that lost out.

If you can hold her still offhand with fullpower 44 mag loads, more power to ya. Otherwise, why have a brushpopper if you miss.

wwb

Hunter
The OP stated he has a problem with a bolt action.... that makes the choice pretty simple (but pricey) - the original semi-auto carbine, the 99/44, or the 96/44. Other options, as noted, are one of the other lever guns.... Marlin, Winchester, or Henry.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I've had and hunted with a 96/44 and the newer Deerfield semi-auto carbine. Of the two, I preferred the 96/44. But if your hand is giving you trouble you should make sure you can work the lever to your satisfaction. It is a short and easy through, compared to Marlins and Winchesters. You could also look at the Henry 44 single-shot. Seems like a nice little gun.

grobin

Blackhawk
As mentioned you might look at a different csrtridge. The 300BLK has a lot of advantages and is. available in more rifles including semiauto.

wunbe

Buckeye
My old 44 carbine is pleasant to shoot, quick handling, and w/o 'tweaking' is more accurate than many of my other Ruger long guns out of the box. And it is not for sale.

wunbe

mac66

Single-Sixer
How about a Marlin 94 lever gun in 44 mag? I alternate between my Ruger 44 carbine and a Marlin 44 mag lever action. Taken deer with both.

But to answer the original question...the 77/44 would be my choice.*

*though I sure wish Ruger would make an American Ranch Rifle in 44 mag.

langenc

Single-Sixer
77/44 is good gun/caliber. I like mine.

Id probably go the 450 Bushmaster route if I didnt have the 77/44. Would trade but dont like the big bite theyd take out of me.

Check out the 450 BM if legal in your area, They have the reputation of being great shooters. Check Ruger and I believe Savage..

grobin

Blackhawk
The 450BLK is pretty much a 44-70, 444, 450 on steroids. Good for heavy game but not so much for Va hunting. The 300BLK is much cheaper to run and excellent for the exurban Va hunting. The ability to run a suppressor will make the difference between getting permission to hunt and no hassle a lot of times. Both are available in bolt and semi auto, but the 300BLK costs less to own and operate.