Ruger Carbine 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Denny

Single-Sixer
I picked one up at a gun show and after getting it home the bolt would not work frozen solid any ideas what the probelem and a smith who works on these ? Its in mint condition

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Before a smith I would try a complete strip and cleaning. As long as nothing is broken nearly 100 percent of problems with the 44 carbines can be fixed by a good cleaning. You can download a manual from Ruger which will show basic disassembly.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Denny, Could be a lot of reasons why that bolt is "frozen"! Is it "closed" or "open" in the frozen position? Could a "round" be chambered, live or fired? You could take the barrel band off at the front of the stock and lift the barreled action out of the stock, then drift out the cross pin at the rear of the receiver to remove the trigger housing, giving you a better look at what's going on. If your not familiar with this gun then I would advise you to take it to a local "competent" gunsmith especially if it turns out that there is a "live" cartridge in the chamber. I would "NOT" push a rod or anything else down that barrel until everything is fully checked out!...............................Dick :idea:

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
Also depending on how long it's been sitting up. It could just be that the slide is stuck like what happens on the Mini-14 at times. All that's needed it to take a rubber mallet and give it a good wack to free it up.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
sounds like a severe lack of lubrication and a build up of "gunk".

nevertheless less...i would NOT look down the bore with a flashlite , or try to pull the trigger, or otherwise operate the firearm. i, personally, would take it to a qualified gunsmith, advise him of the situation, and allow him to restore it to SAFE operating condition.

Denny

Single-Sixer
It went back to Ruger and they refused to work on an out of production gun and offered to let me buy a new gun at reduced cost and they keep my carbine I told them to send it back and I will see what I can do