Ruger Buckeye question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jazzman

Single-Sixer
I love the 32 caliber in any of its forms. I have reloaded for them and currently have a Single Six in 32. I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Ruger Buckeyes or to purchase them individually. I am interested in the 32 but would I make a mistake by not purchasing the 38-40 since they both have the same serial number. Both guns have been fired and both have the boxes. The 38-40 is priced 100.00 cheaper than the 32. I am not that much of a collector, more a shooter, but would I be missing out on a chance at a pair of guns that don't come on the marketplace very often as a set. Really not interested in reloading for the 38-40.

Jim

06ackley

Single-Sixer
I have both and shoot both.While I like the 32 the 38-40 is by far my favorite to shoot.I would get them both if I could and would enjoy them both.Like you said same number pairs don't show up that often so if you can swing it keep them as a set.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Buy them both, even if you only shoot the .32. Put the 38-40, 10mm in the safe, only going up in value!
If you decide to sell down the road it just might help to have its mate. JMO
Terry

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Wasn't there also a 44 Mag/44-40 combo in that same series? Was that one ever released? I guess Buckeye Sports went out of business long ago, so I don't know whether there was ever a chance for it to be born. :?:

I had one of the 32 combo guns when they first came out and liked it a lot. Selling that was one of the dumbest gun moves I ever made and although I have the big stainless BH 8-shooter in 327 Fed Mag, I still wish I had the old combo back. :cry:

Froggie

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have both of the Buckeyes. I have never shot the 38-40 / 10mm at all. Still want to "someday".
I have one of the SBH 44 convertibles as well, unfired and it will stay that way. I would keep the set together also. Get them both and enjoy.

My .02,
32magfan

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Buckeye Sports Distributor specials were some of the best examples since the S47 guns IMO.
All I've seen had a better polishing and deeper blue and I opine much nicer selected grip panels to boot. Goncalo Alves?
I shoot my 10mm convertible and the 32 convertible, that's just what I do with guns. I am deep-thinking a 327 FM cylinder for the latter, possibly stainless.
They're both near-new in condition but I cannot afford a museum, so they get fired.
If I could find a 44 convertible I guess I'd have to shoot it also.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
Well, I looked closer at them yesterday and the only problem is that the grips on the 32 don't match. One is lighter than the other, could this be from the way it was stored. I can't image the owner would have accepted them like that. The only other thing I noticed is that they are in unmarked Ruger yellow boxes, did they come this way.

Jim

two different color grips do occur from time to time,same goes for the amount of 'grain' in any given panel.........
the Buckeyes had the marking on the outer shipping sleeve, on BOTH issues, and the 32-20 had a label on the inner box, the 38-40 did not, at least ALL of the ones we ever had and sold over the years

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have both, and re-load and shoot both. I also have a new SSBH in 327 and will have to try the cylinder in the Buckeye 32. I have a USFA convertible in 32 WCF/327 Mag and like it a lot.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Hey Flash;
How does an 8 shot 327 cylinder "index" with a 6 shot cylinder Blackhawk frame? Maybe I am missing somthing in your e mail, but doesn't add up.

Flash

Buckeye
mhblaw said:
Hey Flash;
How does an 8 shot 327 cylinder "index" with a 6 shot cylinder Blackhawk frame? Maybe I am missing somthing in your e mail, but doesn't add up.

You aren't missing anything. It indexes fine and I've been shooting it for two years in my Buckeye. The pawl moves the ratchet and the cylinder latch holds it in place. The system works the same for 6 shots or 8. Now if you reduce the capacity to 4 shots the pawl doesn't travel far enough to index the cylinder but I did the math and even a 5 shot cylinder would work but there's not enough material making up the web between cylinders to produce a SAFE 9 shot cylinder.

Don't have my Buckeye up here but I have the 327 with the 32-20 cylinder in it.