Ruger Box Labels - Factory Reprints or Recreation labels?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
This may be a dumb question but I am sure I am not the only person that has thought of it so I decided to post here and see...

I have a few guns in my growing collection that are somewhat uncommon and many of them did not come with the factory boxes. Most of these guns also are newer models that would have shipped in the plastic boxes...

Does anybody know if Ruger might be willing to sell replacement labels for these boxes? Would it be approprriate to investigate a source of colored label material to recreate box labels if Ruger would not sell these?

Obviously it would be a recreation but I have been picking up Ruger boxes to store these guns in anways and a strip of masking tape just looks a tad bit sad to me when I look at say my Redhawk "R"s and now my Glossy G Model Redhawks which will live in unlabeled boxes.

Just thinking outloud but I know I would pay a fair price to get labels to put these into factory boxes and I just wonder if this had ever been invistaged by some of the big collectors on here yet?

QB, in the past there have been some "reproduction" items that were originally intended for totally innocent purposes but wound up being passed off as "gen-u-wine" Ruger stuff. There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid this, unless the re-pops are somehow indelibly marked as being ersatz materials, or include blatantly obvious deviations from the originals.

A similar situation that comes to mind was the re-pop hubcaps for some vintage Ford cars that carried a script "FOOL" marking that closely resembled the original Ford marking.

Just an observation, not a condemnation.

:)

radicalrod

Hunter
Lots of blank Smith and Colt labels available so you are not the first to think of this....personally I don't see a problem with this as the boxes are all the same with just different labels.....the only problem I see is getting them made at a price that is justifiable.....if you happen to start "cloning" Old Model" boxes please put me down for a half dozen each of BKH3 non cat, BKH 30, BKH 40, BKH47, and of course the BKH 46 marked box :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya RR.

I'd venture to guess this covered by "copyright" laws, and for someone to invest in the actual printing ,let alone "sales", would not try to invest a lot ,only to get sued, and if they feel they can make a profit, then get a 'license' from Ruger....not sure what the market would be for 'reprints",but as said above, thee have beenS&W and Colt labels out there for years, and if you look, you will see the 'copyright' symbol is NOT on them, same for the knock-off boxes floating around..........

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
To be clear, I am refering to labels for plastic boxes more then creating cardboard and if you consider this label:

pix167045671.jpg

from the following thread that I am still looking for oppinions on too :wink:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=689641#689641

I am not sure if there is really a copyright or trademark issue and like I said I would be glad to get them from Ruger if they would print them...

Just thinking you know...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=70328

Dan, as seen in the pic in the linked thread, the little "R" trademark thingie is present just to the lower left of the big RUGER on this box. Not sure if this is true of others, but I'll go pull out some other boxes if anybody cares. You can bet that all the Ruger documentation is copyrighted. IOWEGAN just pulled all his IBOK's from the "other" forum because Ruger objected to his use of their exploded parts illustrations therein. They were nice about it, but still . . .

With respect to the labels for the plastic boxes, they include the serial number of the gun, which makes them rather specific in application.

Tricky situation, at best.

:D

that label shown is a computer generated on and applies to all the info at the time the firearm is actually built........the blanks are on a roll setup,part of a larger sheet ,most likely.......yessir "proprietary company information"

to ANY printer, a piece of cake to picture, then copy onto "like colored" blank labels.............match the font mainly; the bar code, means ONLY to THAT gun and its info.................

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Of course, ANY sale/transfer involving a non-factory label would NEED to avoid any implied representation that the label is original or "official" in any way.

Copyright laws are funny things. I'd say "...just not worth it..."

Latest posts