Ruger Blackhawk old model brass frame 6 1/2 bbl.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Copper511

Bearcat
Hello all,

This is my first post, so be gentle. I was given my Grandpa's old Ruger Blackhawk when he passed away in 2013. I carry it on camping trips and more recently for the handgun portion of deer season, so it's a shooter. While wearing it on my hip at a local diner (I live in a part of the country where that's acceptable) when I was complimented by another hunter for carrying an "old school" pistol to hunt with. When I offered him a look at it, he told me that brass frame Rugers are a rare specimen and should be put away.

I've scoured the internet and have found a treasure trove of information but the values are all over the place. Based on the serial number, Ruger puts it at being manufactured in 1972 and it has MR-3DB on the grip. I called Ruger and they told me that it left the factory with a brass frame as model #BKH36 (I think). Any information on the estimated value would be greatly appreciated. I'll load pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Ok,,, you have a nice family heirloom. However,, you have given conflicting information in your description of things.
First,,, the MR-3DB is a Ruger factory made brass grip frame.
However,, you say the factory told you it left the factory with the brass grip frame,,, yet you posted the model info as BKH-36. If it left the factory with the brass grip frame installed,,, the model info would be BKH-36B.
If it did get shipped with the brass grip frame,,, then it's rare & desirable. Less than 400 letter as such. I'd spend the $10 to get the letter.
But also realize that Ruger offered the brass grip frames as an accessory,,, so it could have been added after it left the factory.
The factory letter is mandatory to verify it's provenience,,, and GREATLY affects value.
A shooter grade BKH-36 with the brass g/f added is worth about $500-$600,, while a factory lettered gun could be worth double that or more,,, with a LOT depending upon actual condition.

street

Hunter
Hello! John C. Dougan has a book out that has a list of most of the factory shipped Brass Grip Frame Blackhawks. The book is "RUGER PISTOLS & REVOLVERS" If you can give us the complete serial number someone here will let you know if your gun is on the list.

Copper511

Bearcat
Thanks for the information. I can't remember if the person that I talked to at Ruger mentioned a "B" at the end of the model number or not but I've requested a verification letter from Ruger to find out for sure what I have. The serial number is 31-35677 if that helps any

Thanks for the information. I can't remember if the person that I talked to at Ruger mentioned a "B" at the end of the model number or not but I've requested a verification letter from Ruger to find out for sure what I have. The serial number is 31-35677 if that helps any
Sorry for such a late response, but I've been recently involved with my own MR-3DB Brass grip frame model. To your reply back in Aug 2017, the moderator was wrong on your serial number. August through November, 1972, Ser. #s 31-24535-31-40500, 735 of which were fitted with the MR-3DB Dragoon style brass frame. Your number falls into one of the 735. I hope you still have possession of the gun.
Ref: "Know Your Ruger Single Actions: The Second Decade 1963-1973" by John C. Dougan...page 84.

Dougan's 1963-1973 (1989) book's listing shows that there were approximately 735 guns shipped with brass grip frames out of a total of 15,965 guns in that serial number range. So it would have seemed possible for 31-35677 to have been one of those, but there was no guarantee of any particular gun being one of these. However . . .

As street mentioned above, in Dougan's later (2008) book Ruger Pistols and Revolvers, The Vintage Years 1949-1973, pages 372 & 373, he lists all of the 381 4-5/8" guns and all of the 186 6-1/2" guns so shipped. 31-35677 does not appear in either category, as I mentioned above.

Still an interesting family heirloom, however. :)

Last edited: