ruger blackhawk convertable

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sandman228

Single-Sixer
ok a few months back I bought a 357/9mm convertible and really liked it, so much so that I decided I had to have 1 in 45 also. well I was on my way to work 1 afternoon a few weeks ago and had a little extra time on my hands so I stopped by a local gunshop where I buy most of my handguns from low and behold he he a couple new convertibles there including 1 in 45 with a 4 5/8 barrel (exactly what I wanted ) it was kinda 1 of those things im glad I found it but at the same time wish I didn't. my income tax refund was just deposited to my acct that day and was pretty much all spoken for including paying off my 2 credit cards litteraly a few hours before I found this revolver . so instead of spending money that was supposed to be for something else(and pissing the wife off ) or running the credit cards back up I just put a 100$ deposit on it, it was just shy of 600$ out the door with tax and background check fees. well I picked it up last week we had a nice 50 degree day here yesterday so I decided to take it and a few other guns back to the range there was still allot of ice and snow back there but other than going to work ive been cooped up in this house for quite a while and was hell bent I was going . so I ran 50 rounds of 45 lc through this gun they were my own cast 200 gr swc bullet over 5.9 gr hp38. I kept my 45 lc rounds on the mild side because I was shooting them from a traditions bp revolver with a howells old west conversion before I bought this convertible if I remember right that was the starting load for that bullet. all and all the accuracy and grouping were decent shooting it at 25 yrds bench rested poa wasn't exactly right on but im not messing with that just yet I plan on changing the grips and probably shooting a heavier bullet (I bought a new 250 gr swc mold for this gun). so after I finished up a box of 45 lc reloads I decided to put the 45 acp cylinder in and try it out wich is what I was most looking forward to, I thought 45 acp out of a big heavy revolver would be nice and smooth easy shooting little to no recoil (like 9mm is in my other convertible) wow was I wrong. I was shooting my own cast 230 gr lrn bullet over 4.0 gr of bullseye that I shoot our of my rock island 1911 all the time im not saying it was a beast but there was more recoil out of it with this round than with the lc rounds it really shocked me . all and all im pretty happy with both of my convertibles though .I wish they would bring back the 32h&r-32 20 convertible ,if they did I would own 1 I cast for and reload 32 h&r already and shoot them out of my gp100 327 mag its a great gun too but I love the single actions

contender

Ruger Guru
I happen to have a "few" of the 45 convertables. I use a different load in my 45 acps. I do use a lot of plated 230 grn RN bullets, & Unique powder. My ACP's are loaded for USPSA shooting so they are a bit below GI standards. I have found my acp loads are quite comfortable to shoot. Accurate too.
I cast a lot of slugs for my 45 Colts as well. I'm currently enjoying a new custom mold throwing a 285 grn bullet. SWEET! But it lets you know it's there.

Congrats on getting you a nice convertible. You will enjoy it!

I also own a few of the 9mm/357's convertibles. I'd like to see the 38-40 & 10mm myself again. I already have my 32 cal stuff covered. I own a 327 Mag, as well as several of the 32 H&R mags & the 30 Carbines. But if I had a 38-40, I'd have to have a cylinder made for 40 S&W too.

Vortex

Bearcat
I also just picked up a 4 5/8 convertible in 45lc/45acp. I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet so I'm living vicariously through you and your range report. While i'm waiting for the road to my range to clear of snow so I can get to it, I have been hitting the local gunshops and stocking up on both calibers. Out of the two calibers, the acp is much easier to find in a variety of different loadings. So far for the 45colt round I have found a federal loading and some Barnes. I may end up ordering some heavy buffalo bore rounds and giving those a try.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I also have several of them including a pair of 4 5/8" SS flat tops. They are some of my favorite six shooters. I pretty much just shoot mid range stuff in mine and find the ACP`s will shoot a smidge more accurately in them than the Colt loads.
Enjoy!!

dakota1911

Buckeye
Also own a "few" of the Ruger SA 45LC/45ACP and 9mm/357 convertibles. Would love to see them come out with a new 40 S&W/10mm. One of the things I have found out is every one of these is slightly different as to the loads they like.

My latest is a Lipsey. in 45LC/45ACP. Lovely little pistol.

Or a an older toy. Very different as to the loads they like.