Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have the chance to trade for a couple of Blackhawk 50th anniversary models both blue steel. One is a 44 mag. , the other is a .357 mag. The .44 has a 7-1/2 inch barrel and the .357 has a 4/5/8 inch barrel (I didn't measure them to be sure of length). Any way they are new in the box. What is a good ball park amount that these are worth. Thank You.

You can buy either one of the 50th Anniversary models brand new for less than $400. CDNN has been blowing these out for something like $379.

They are both great guns and worth more than that to me.

And then there is the .44 Special version but let's not confuse you!

Gregg

flatgate

Hawkeye
The .44 Mag Anniversary Blackhawk has a 6-1/2" barrel and the .357 has a 4-5/8". The Super Blackhawk Anniversary model has a 7-1/2" barrel.

147309720.jpg

50th Anniversary Blackhawks.

flatgate

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Thanks for the reply's. The ones I am looking at have gold writing on top of the barrel. The .44 is marked "50 years of .44 magnum 1956-2006. The .357 is marked "50th year Blackhawk 1955-2005. Do they all have this marking ? Thank You

jimhoff

Bearcat
I just picked up to 50-year .44 Blackhawk. I really like the trigger after the 1-minute trigger job. I also picked up a box of Buffalo Bore .44 +P+. It's 340 gr. at 1425 fps (!). The box lists several guns on the box it's ok to put the ammo through--Taurus Raging Bull, Super Redhawk, Redhawk, a few others, including Super Blackhawk. Missing from the list is Blackhawk 50th with the steel frame. I bought the ammo. It fits the cylinder and the cyl is perhaps .030 longer than the ammo. I am thinking the gun is plenty strong, but, would the ammo jump crimp and lock the gun? Its a really tight crimp and this gun weighs alot with the steel frame. I plan to shoot a cyl-full with caliper measurements after each shot.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Your Ruger should not exhibit any ill signs from shooting the Buffalo Bore ammo. I doubt the bullets will "jump the crimp", either.

Ah, but be prepared for some serious damage to your hand...... :shock:

At least in my experience the grip frame/grips supplied on the 50th Anniv. Blackhawk is the most uncomfortable design extant. I tried wood grips in place of the "cheese graters" with only a small improvement in "shooter comfort".

JMHO and YMMV,

flatgate

Rclark

Hunter
At least in my experience the grip frame/grips supplied on the 50th Anniv. Blackhawk is the most uncomfortable design extant. I tried wood grips in place of the "cheese graters" with only a small improvement in "shooter comfort".
At least the wood grips don't chew up your hand ... even if it still goes numb ;) . Talking to the choir here, but the solution is .... just shoot a lighter load in it. Shoot it all day this way. For me that's 8.5g of Unique pushing a 240g SWC.... Makes for a pleasant shooting session.

I also picked up a box of Buffalo Bore .44 +P+. It's 340 gr. at 1425 fps (!).
Have to ask..... Why would you want to shoot that stuff and subject your gun (and hand) to such a beating?

Welcome to the forum too... :) .

If the two guns you are looking at , have the "same" ( matching serial numbers except for the prefix) this will add a premium to the 'package', and as said above, we have seen these available from CDNN and for a GREAT price, in any of the 'combiunations mentioned above.......at these prices you can afford to shoot them.....just don't ride them hard and put them away wet.....

jimhoff

Bearcat
Ok- the .44 held together and my hand, while spanked on the middle knuckle, is ok, but a bit numb. I did get some hunting loads and started there. Shot 6 hunting rounds and recoil was stiff. Then I tried 2 rounds of the Buffalo Bore and they actually didn't feel much worse. After these eight rounds I was done for the day. That's how I roll ;)

The next day, i wanted to do some ballpark sight-in and see about the jump crimp problem, if any. It was dark and I illuminated the target with my headlights, so it was hard to see the sights. Plus I'm 51 years old. Group was about 4" at 25 yards, extrapolating through the sight-in. I switched to the Buffalo Bore. Sorry this is getting long.

To answer an above question, the reason I want to shoot these heavy loads is because I camp around AK and there are bears. My wife carries the spray and I carry the gun while we walk the dogs and hike around. This particular ammo is the minimum I consider wise.

The BB shot 6" higher at 25 yards and the group of 5 rounds ran the same 4" group. I was resting my hand on a 5 gallon bucket turned upside-down. The sixth round I examined for crimp jump and saw that it moved a perceptible amount, about 20/1,000ths, leaving about 10/1,000ths before it would have tied up the revolver.

The last guy to save his behind from a bear attack only got 4 rounds off with his .44 DA revolver--killed the bear but the gun tied up from crimp jump. He didn't get touched by the bear. He now shoots a .454.

I'm pretty happy with the gun. I'll practice lighter loads and carry the BB on hikes. Maybe rounds 5 and 6 will be something with less OAL.

Sorry to over-share.

Rclark

Hunter
...because I camp around AK and there are bears.
You mean those cute cuddly beasties (Wolves included) that Easterners and tree huggers like to warm up to??? Ahhhh, they would never come after you, don't want our food, or like the taste of beef('slow elk' we call 'em) or sheep on the hoof, naw...... just 'shoo' them away with your hands... or hit 'em with one of those pans you're supposed to be banging when he charges or throw a can of bear spray at him -- real fast to donk 'em.... :lol: ..... Yeah ... Well, I understand :) .