Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag Flat Top Grip Issue...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
So, I picked up a Blackhawk .44 Mag Flat Top. The previous owner must have thought he needed more grip in his grips, so he did this.....

3aRCkjd.jpg

Basically, a very heavy urethane-like finish with particles of sparkle or something embedded in it. None of the basic solvents would touch it, so I soaked them in an aggressive paint stripper for about 2 hours, brushed with a fine wire brush and got this.....

Pqyp7TN.jpg

As you see them here, they are still wet from rinsing. The big issue is that the black paint is gone from the emblems. My plan is to let them dry for a few days and them dunk them in Tung oil or BLO a few times and eventually try to repaint the emblems with some sort of black paint. Any helpful hints on getting them as near to factory appearance as possible?

Thx

krf

looking better but the solvent may have damaged the "plastic" medallions, so may have to just find another pair of old model medallions and swap them out, just be careful....if the silver background did not get 'mottled' ( rippled) effects of solvent, then simply thin out some black enamel paint and lightly flow it into the bird recess, allow to dry over night, then you can scrape off any run over quite easy and simple to do take your time, neatness counts......:cool:;)

jyo

Single-Sixer
Good to see you were able to save those grips! Ain't no accounting for taste, but some people just don't have any...!

Johnnu2

Hunter
Also.... why not post a 'want to buy' ad here on our Forum...ask for the correct, orig. condition, XR3 panels. My guess is that someone here has a set to offer. I did that several years ago and got a very nice set for the OM 44FT that I picked-up. Then, keep them both.
J.