Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jamesray59

Bearcat
I must say this is the best Christmas present I have had in a while.

The wife got a new couch and i got this :p :

Cant wait to get out and break it in.
My only issue is the grips.
Any advice on a aftermarket grip for this would be appreciated.
Would like to have a larger grip as my hands are fairly big.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best wishes in the upcoming holidays...

With Regards...

Meeko

Single-Sixer
I have the 6 1/2" 357/9mm convertible as well. One of my favorites. You will enjoy it, I promise

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I also have the 6 1/2 and as for grips I used the rosewood grips from Ruger they are a little thicker ans as for shooting, It is probably my favorite my favorite

Glupy said:
lipofsky said:
I also have the 6 1/2 and as for grips I used the rosewood grips from Ruger they are a little thicker ans as for shooting, It is probably my favorite my favorite

I agree.
I have an older 4 5/8 model.
The wood grips are great.

Glupy
I agree with you gentlemen. I bought newer 4 5/8 model that came with stock plastic grips and replaced them with a nice old set of rosewoods that I bought here on the forum and they fit my large hands well.
You bought yourself a great gift my friend!

jamesray59

Bearcat
ChiefTJS said:
You got the best end of the deal.
I agree with you Chief, bought some crab legs and lobster for Christmas dinner.(Wife's favorite food)

The rosewood grips had already caught my eye and I think they will be a great replacement for the stock grip.

Has anyone ever bought from Altamont Company?
http://altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_blackhawk.php

Thanks for your opinions and comments, best wishes in the upcoming holidays.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Have an older one I put grips from the old Ajax Co. on, but there are tons of grips out there for Rugers. In the picture below it is with one of my 45ACP/45LC convertibles.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
jamesray59 said:
ChiefTJS said:
You got the best end of the deal.
I agree with you Chief, bought some crab legs and lobster for Christmas dinner.(Wife's favorite food)

The rosewood grips had already caught my eye and I think they will be a great replacement for the stock grip.

Has anyone ever bought from Altamont Company?
http://altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_blackhawk.php

Thanks for your opinions and comments, best wishes in the upcoming holidays.

Those Altamonts are the same grips Ruger offers. Fit isn't perfect, but they are better than those cheese grater grips that come on them. I was given a set and they're still on my Blackhawk so I guess I'd say they work fine. :) Congrats on your Christmas present and good move on the dinner. Things like that will keep YOU off the wife's new couch at night.:wink:

Edit: To clarify. The Rosewood, Spanish Diamond Fleur De Lis pattern were the one's from Ruger that I have. I
don't think they offer more than a couple designs, but they are Altamonts.

GhosT

Blackhawk
jamesray59,

First off,
VERY COOL PRESENT YA GOT!

Second,
When it comes to grips........
Don't rush,because there are a ton of cool grips out there for Blackhawks....

Third,
Total envy.........love that gun :lol:

foilist

Bearcat
jamesray59 said:
I must say this is the best Christmas present I have had in a while.

The wife got a new couch and i got this :p :

Cant wait to get out and break it in.
My only issue is the grips.
Any advice on a aftermarket grip for this would be appreciated.
Would like to have a larger grip as my hands are fairly big.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best wishes in the upcoming holidays...

With Regards...

You might try Badger Custom grips.

http://www.badgercustomgrips.com

They make wood grips for Ruger GP100's and Blackhawks, as well as for Smith & Wesson (and other guns). I put rosewood grips on my GP and BH. They look real good in my opinion. And the wood grip on the BH is larger than the factory cowboy grip. A bit too large for me but I can get all of my fingers around the grip without the pinky curled under it.

wideglide

Bearcat
I have 2, one 4 1/2" and one 6 1/2. Wood on the short one and a Hogue monogrip on the long one which came with wood. I keep the wood ones for the longer one in the case and put them on if I'm ever just showing it off. Both are stainless and any wood grips are fine. You can go nuts deciding which ones to get. I actually have several wood grips for my Blackhawks and Single sixes that I switch off now and again. They are all good!

The Blackhawk is a great Christmas present, and dress it up with new grips will be the ticket. I do not like the new plastic. There are several grip makers here on the forum and I have used Pvt Shultz and 41magnum http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=210917 with great success. Also CaryC has a company with outstanding grips, http://www.clccustomgrips.com/ .
Try the forum auction links page for more.