Ruger blackhawk 327 drilled and tapped?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Olevern

Bearcat
Just ordered a Ruger blackhawk 327 mag. and wondered if these are drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Old eyes work best with a scope and I want to mount a 2X Leupold on it. Anyone have one or know?
Thanks. Been visiting for quite a few months but just registered in order to ask. Long time Ruger single action fan, own three Super Single Sixes, Two flat tops (one 44 mag and other 357 converted to 44 spl.) as well as three screw old models in 357 and 45 colt. Great guns for the money!

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Not only would I not D&T that gun but I don't think that I would even shoot it. I predict that these will be worth about a thousand dollars, in 5 years, if kept NIB.

Look at the 357 Maximum. That's what happend to those guns. Is it a good gun? Yes. Do I want two of them? Yes. Will the caliber ever catch on, or will it fizzle out, due to to poor ammo availability? Fizzle.

Put it on the shelf, buy a stainless BH in 357, shoot that one and clean up in five years on your 327, when you resell it. Of course, this is just my opinion (however, there are others, who feel as I do about this).

Olevern

Bearcat
I read and understand your concern, however, I purchase firearms to use, not as an investment. I have committed firearm heresy in the past, and likely will in the future. When it first came out, I purchased a Ruger Bisley in 32 H&R magnum (5 1/2") and immediately had it drilled and tapped for a Redfield mount. I put a 2X Leupold on it and never looked back. I have put thousands of rounds through it and taken countless coyotes, squirrels, rabbits and even a javalina with it. One of my favorite handguns, and one I wouldn't sell for three times what I paid for it.
I will drill and tap the new arrival when it comes in because that makes it more usable for me. I just wondered if Ruger had started drilling and tapping the topstraps on their single actions (like S&W did recently) to accomodate their users with eyesite difficulties. Eventually, my insurance will pay for these cataracs to be removed (they claim they are not "ripe" enough yet).

No, and at least the S&W style, the long tang of the rear sight leaf hides the screw holes from the view at the top ( though they can be seen from below) in ,through the top strap.......just doesn't look good, but as said, who cares if it works for them.........

Olevern:
I say go for it. A while back I got a GP100 and had it drilled and tapped for a red dot. I liked the Smith and Wesson style, but just wanted a Ruger. I bought a .327 last month and plan on shooting it as well. My 401k is for investing, the gun safe is a hobby.

Robb Barnes

Hunter
I wanted to use a Freedom Arms scope base on my 414 Supermag so I had Alan Harton remachine the topstrap of the base 357 Maximum to match the Freedom Arms topstrap and now I can use the Freedom Arms rear sight OR the Freedom Arms Lovell scope base.
P1000970.jpg

P1000971.jpg

Robb Barnes

Hunter
I am sorry I don't since it was all part of the custom package which included the new barrel and the long five shot cylinder. Alan had over 49 hours in machine work and the total bill with CCH parts etc was just shy of $3K.

Latest posts