Ruger Bisley New Vaquero .45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fanner50

Bearcat
You can tell that I very seldom post here, but I read the forums a lot. Today I purchased a new Ruger Bisley New Vaquero .45 from a local gun store.
Beautiful gun in bright stainless steel. The envelope with the spent cartridge in it is dated 12/30/2013. Looks like it sat in a distributors warehouse for three years. The gun shop is fairly new, so it has not been sitting there for three years. This is my first .45 Colt and I plan to reload for it. Is factory Hornady LeVERevolution safe to use in this gun? Just how powerful a load can this gun handle? Favorite loads/bullets anyone? Thanks for anything you can tell me about this fine Ruger and any shooting tips you can give to me. Thanks everyone, I have really learned a lot from these forums, and look forward to learning much more.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
The Ruger New Vaquero is about the same size as a Colt SAA. Use standard level or slightly stronger loads but stay away from "Ruger only" loads meant for the large frame Rugers.

The Hornady loads should be fine. Many people just use standard cowboy loads. 250-255 grain lead RN. More fun to shoot not to mention should handle any problem you run across for the most part. You have a nice gun. What's the barrel length? How about a picture?

Mus408

Hunter
Nice gun! I load 8 to 8.5 grs. of Unique with 250 or 255 gr. hard cast bullets from either Better Bullets, Laser Cast or even copper plated 255 gr. bullets from Xtreme Bullets.
These are great all around loads that shoot well in the Colt SA type revolvers.

Many other load choices are out there for the .45 Colt so you can just look them up in any loading manual.

Mus408:

I also like 8.1 grains of Unique. I bet an even 8 or 8.5 would be very close. But that load seems the most accurate with 250 poly coated bullets. Very pleasant shooting too. Similar in regards to recoil as a full power 357.

Fanner50

Bearcat
IMG_3512_zps3nypt6me.jpg
IMG_3516_zpsqd2z47of.jpg
[/URL]

Photo's as requested.
Also, a photo of my beloved Fanner50 cap gun from the 50's, hence my user name Fanner50
Thanks for the very good reloading information guys, please keep the info coming.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I have it's twin sister and mine likes a 250 home cast RN over 5.3 grains of Trail boss. Almost no recoil, no leading, and very accurate.

choirboy

Bearcat
Metal cap guns from the 50's. That's why my flat top .44 special
felt so familiar.

Fanner50

Bearcat
Yes, those old cap guns are cool. :) I will try some Trail Boss also. I have a 80% full can of Unique that I will be loading with mostly, but Trail Boss and a couple others sound good too. I've had that Stagecoach money clip since I was a kid, it is a treasured possession also.