Ruger BH Hunter ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

speedhunter

Bearcat
Has anyone here modified the BH Hunter model, mainly shortened the barrel, and if so did it affect the accuracy? Who did the work for you and can you post some pics? Thanks...

...speed

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Why shorten a model made specifically for scope mounting? It doesn't make sense. If you want a shorter model, buy a standard BH with a 4 5/8" barrel or something. You can never have too many! :D

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Let me try to shed a little light. At least this is my perspective.

Depending on weather conditions, hunting technique, my mood, or celestial alignment, I may decide to go out without a scope mounted on my Hunter. A shorter barrel is a plus when I want to tote the gun around with just the irons. My state mandates 6" min bbl length, so another gun with a 4 5/8 or 5.5" barrel is useless.

Add to that the fact that the Leupold 2x can be mounted atop the Hunter and still be back far enough to be protected from muzzle blast on a 6" barrel. And just about any red dot will be clear as well.

And finally, of all places, I thought this forum was a place that you didn't have to worry about answering the question of WHY :)

Knuckles

Buckeye
Seems like it would be a shame to pay for a chop-job for only one and a half inches of bbl... that's a crummy law. :roll:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
After swinging a 7.5" SBHH around all day I could see some interest in a 5-6" one. I really like the looks of the gun at both barrel lengths. I don't like the shorter one enough to spend hundreds of dollars to get there, though.

-- Sam

I have been looking at having MagNaPort shorten a Super RedHawk to 4.8 ". I want a gun for deer and bear that I can use a red dot on, but if I need to trail a bear, I want open sights. Also want an easier carry gun when shed hunting, etc.
I to really like the looks of that Super BlackHawk Hunter with the short barrel.

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
The gun in the other thread is mine. The "why" is easy...bacause I can :D That said, I like the look and balance batter than the 7.5" version, which I also have, and I can still use a 2x scope, if I want to. I did the work so the only cost was a little time.

MK111

Bearcat
I for one bought a SH Bisley Hunter to cut the barrel back to 5.5" for a easy holster pistol. Also could easly put a red dot on it. But wanted to wait till deer season was over.
But before I had a chance a Bisley 5.5" 45-45 converitable came around so I didn't have to. But if the convertable leaves I will do it in a second.

speedhunter

Bearcat
Why? Cuz i wanna. Cuz it's easier to carry. Cuz it's lighter. Cuz I like the looks. Cuz I don't need to use a scope or red dot just yet, but can later if I want. Cuz it'll be a short gun with a little extra weight to help with a steady hold. Cuz it's different and I haven't seen a thousand others that look exactly the same. Cuz...etc. etc. etc.

Nice looking gun Mark McWillis!

Thanks everyone!