Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper 22 repair question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I had breakfast this morning with a former fellow co-worker. We are both retired and get together for breakfast at Bob Evans every so often. Prior to this morning he has been telling me about an issue he has with his Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper! It doesn't do it all the time but often enough to where it's not real reliable. He wanted me to take it to my gunsmith to have it repaired. It's a sweet looking little pistol and he bought it new, maybe 2 years ago! He brought it with him this morning and was trying to show me what was happening. When he holds it level and cocks the hammer, there is a piece just below the firing pin that moves up and interferes with firing the gun. He said that if you point it towards the ground, it's less likely to malfunction. I assume it's single action only but didn't ask (he seems to like single action pistols).

I told him being newer that , most likely Ruger would fix it for free. I also said that they might pay shipping to and from the repair facility. He goes shooting very little since he's taking care of his wife so, I doubt it has a lot of rounds through it. It's a sweet looking pistol!

Any rate, what will Ruger do for him. Anyone have the best contact info for them and what the procedure is? Does Ruger pay for shipping and send RMA's??

He's a great friend and I'm just trying to help him out and I've never had to send any of my Rugers back to them!

Thanks for your help,
OLE442

hard to "see" just what you describe, and yes the best bet is call Ruger customer service and 'ask/complain', as thats not 'right'..... and he should ask for a "RMA" ( return authorization) good luck......:cool:;)

G2

Hunter
Check the plunger on the tip of the basepin, is it protruding and spring is good? a drop of oil while your there, it might be sticking.

and as mentioned, is the basepin locking in tight and staying.

A call to Ruger,,,
will most likely issue a prepaid pick up tag, fix it, and ship it back.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
Like mentioned before, sounds like the base pin is not inserted all the way or plunger is sticking and not holding the transfer bar out.

yes, with the gun "empty" (unloaded) cock the hammer back, and look down into the space between the hammer face the rear of the cylinder frame...you will SEE the 'transfer bar' thin metal piece comes up , this piece "transfers" the energy if the face of the hammer onto the firing pin.....this "bar" comes up with the trigger pulled back...if when pulling the hammer back on the ';empty' gun there is NO pressure from the center pin ( springy thingy) on the rear, this bar can catch, hang up on the bottom edge of the firing pin..in other words you hold the gun facing skyward, "gravity" will allow the bar back and let it clear, if you hold it towards the floor, the bar will "catch" hang up.....your center pin is NOT"seated" or like noted above the "springy thingy:" on the back side ( rear of the pin) is broke ,stuck or missing, if the pin is seated........

also if your 'Shopkeeper ' is stainless they often will have burrs and a simple deburring of the center pin and the frame hole may be needed....;)

Attachments

• th_Basepinsnear.jpg
    th_Basepinsnear.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 55

contender

Ruger Guru
rugerguy has give you an excellent explanation of what is happening & why it may not be functioning.
To work on the base pin,, is EASY!!!!
Open the loading gate,, the cylinder should turn freely. On the frame, in front of the cylinder is a cross pin assy which is spring loaded. Just in front of that is the end of the base pin. Depress the cross pin assy, & pull out the base pin. The cylinder will also come out now.
Check the end of the base pin,, (see the picture above,) and the little tip is a spring loaded piece. THAT'S the piece that needs to be fully seated to allow the gun to operate properly. Re-assembly is just a reversal of the removal.
All this should be in your manual. If you don't have a manual, contact Ruger for a FREE one.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm not familiar with Bearcats, but another cause for the same malfunction, at least on singles sixes and blackhawks, is if they altered the trigger return spring a little too much.