Ruger Bearcat Firing Pin Not Striking Center of Round

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lava Dog

Bearcat
Thank you for your time!
I have an older Ruger Bearcat that is striking the side of the .22 round. It is also skipping a round. The firing pin looks good but there seems to be a lot of play in the cylinder. This is my first time playing with this revolver. I am clueless. Thank you, again, for any help you can steer my way.

RSIno1

Hunter
Picture of fired brass would help. It is rimfire so it should be hitting the edge of the cartridge.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 65

Lava Dog

Bearcat
Picture of fired brass would help. It is rimfire so it should be hitting the edge of the cartridge.
I feel like an idiot as far as it being rimfire. I truly appreciate it. Thank you!
Any idea on why the cylinder would be skipping rounds?

contender

Ruger Guru
You are not an idiot.
Nobody is born with all the education in the world. It's only by asking that we learn.
You asked, and were taught.
NO PROBLEM.

And as noted,, the hand, if well worn, can fail to properly index the cylinder.

However,, are you always fully cocking the revolver? If you partially cock it, and lower the hammer,, it can skip a chamber.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
You are not an idiot.
Nobody is born with all the education in the world. It's only by asking that we learn.
You asked, and were taught.
NO PROBLEM.

And as noted,, the hand, if well worn, can fail to properly index the cylinder.

However,, are you always fully cocking the revolver? If you partially cock it, and lower the hammer,, it can skip a chamber.
This is a good forum with lots of knowledge. But the best thing about it is the kind and informative way most responses are given. Good job Ty

usbp sw

Bearcat
The only stupid/idiotic question is the one someone does not ask. As mentioned before if you only partially cock the revolver, it will bypass a chamber when you cock it again. Additionally, make sure the hand area is clean and provides enough spring tension to properly engage the ratchet.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Simple trouble shooting:

Point the unloaded revolver skyward,
Cock the hammer slowly,
with hammer still cocked, try turning the cyl with other hand,
It should be locked in position every time for all six chambers.

Check for firing pin dents on the rear face of the cyl between chambers.