Ruger Bearcat 22 magnum cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Good luck on your search,, as many were recalled by Ruger,, and the collectors of the 22 mag Bearcats aren't seperating the cylinders from the guns.
You can place a WTB ad in the classifieds as well.
Most likely,, the best thing would be to have a custom made cylinder for it if you wish to shoot 22 mags in the Bearcat.

alkpon

Bearcat
Does anyone have any experience with this? I realize .22 Mag Cylinders are like hens' teeth. Would you try to buy an used Bearcat for cylinder conversion or have .22 Mag cylinder made up? I have a Super Bearcat which David Clements installed adjustable rear sight, front sight and trigger job. It is ultimate kit gun but .22 Mag cylinder would be icing on cake, particularly with the adjustable sights. Any suggestions?
(I drink Coors light.....cheapie). Thanks.

G2

Hunter
~$90 for the re-chamber.
~$150 for the replacement cylinder from Ruger

~ 320 cans coors light. :wink:

I do agree you need to finish the project.
My 22 MAG Bearcat, never got around to the 22lr replacement cylinder was just too much fun to just shoot the mags. Yes "was", sold it! :roll:
P1010006-5.jpg

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
I just bought a 22 mag chamber reamer (for around $50 I think) and did my own. Mine is stainless so I did not have to worry about the finish. I have not changed the 22LR marking on the cylinder yet. I sent mine in and had a new cylinder fit by Ruger. I also did my friends but he has not sent his in for a new cylinder yet.

stubbfarmer":2a9hd1hn said:
I just bought a 22 mag chamber reamer (for around $50 I think) and did my own. Mine is stainless so I did not have to worry about the finish. I have not changed the 22LR marking on the cylinder yet. I sent mine in and had a new cylinder fit by Ruger. I also did my friends but he has not sent his in for a new cylinder yet.
I am not a 'gunsmith' but have worked with precision tools most of my working life. How much trouble is doing the reaming job? Anything special to look out for?

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
I took a piece of flat iron about 1/8 x 3/4 x 6 inches drilled two holes to correspond with where the cylinder pin goes and one of the shell chambers. Then put in shafts and welded them to the flat to use as a tool to help hold the cylinder as I reamed. I just used a shell as a go no go gauge. I used plenty of thread cutting oil, went slow, and kept checking as I went. I just used a T tap handle to drive the reamer. First, I made sure the shell would go clear in then put the cylinder back in the gun to make sure it would turn. I would turn the reamer just a couple of times, as I got close so I did not go too far. It probably took a little over an hour to do it while watching TV. I am a farmer so have work on things all my life but never anything really precise. It is really no problem as long as you take your time and keep checking how the shell fits. The holder made it allot easier.

stubbfarmer said:
That is a great idea BUT, if I sent mine in for a replacement cylinder they will put the hammer block in it and I don't want my weapon 'upgraded' and marked that it was. How hard is it to find 'replacement' cylinders aftermarket?

stubbfarmer

Single-Sixer
Mine is a new model stainless. It is easier to change the 22LR marking on a stainless cylinder. I do not think I would do it to an older gun. If I did I would rebore the replacement cylinder and not the original. I would either buy a new one or look for a used new model to do it to and I like stainless.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Apparently, sometimes they forget to put them in the box. If you pull them, you have them when your gun comes back, guaranteed!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Please don't forget to engrave the modified cylinder as 22 WRFM only, if your endeavor is to modify as-such.

Any gunsmith worth his/her salt (professional or amateur) would do so, to prevent injury from some pinhead-moment of dropping 22LR rounds into the modified chambers...

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
Please don't forget to engrave the modified cylinder as 22 WRFM only, if your endeavor is to modify as-such.

Any gunsmith worth his/her salt (professional or amateur) would do so, to prevent injury from some pinhead-moment of dropping 22LR rounds into the modified chambers...

Obviously not a good idea, but why would it cause injury??? Just curious.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Firing 22LR in a WRFM chamber has the possibility of splitting the case, with burning gases and particles of crap going everywhere they shouldn't go. A game for fools.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
I understand the possibility; the manual even has some words to that effect; (my Single Six convertible manual). The reason I asked is 'cause I have accidentally done it once. Forgot I had the Magnum cylinder in and shot either one or two cylinders full before I realized it. Did not split any cases, but I was perhaps just lucky. I surely wouldn't do it on purpose, of course. A split case COULD send some stuff back to you; (or someone NEAR you!). Another reason to always wear eye protection, eh?

I just wondered if maybe you had had some experience with that situation.