Ruger AR 556 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
guys like to ask what pro or cons on the ruger AR 556 ?
I been reading a few articles on the rifle seem the only major draw back stated is the gritty trigger other then that seem to have all the bells for a entry level rifle.
I wonder if hand loading the rifle you will get above average accuracy .
I see other model ar 15 out there but customer service from ruger is hard to beat if needed.
I would like to keep the rifle for bench rest shooting using only a peep sight set up at 100 yards.
I wonder how are the barrel on these rifle if they can shoot better then average with the right loads.?

pisgah

Buckeye
-- Standard AR triggers in general can be classed as "pretty awful", although they can be pretty easily improved or replaced.
-- Handloads may well improve accuracy -- or not. Depends on how adept you are at finding a load your individual rifle likes, and how careful you are in assembling your loads.
-- Ruger service is good, but truth be told the AR is a rifle so simple and standardized that almost anyone with basic mechanical skills and gun knowledge can keep one running without help.
-- Benchrested at 100 yards the Ruger will do at least as well as any other mass-produced AR.
-- With the right loads almost any decent barrel can shoot "better than average", and the Ruger barrels are decent.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
It is hampered by not having a free float handguard,

All things being equal, one with a free floated handguard with demonstrate better accuracy when rested on a front bag, unless you can rest the non-free float exactly the same each time (which is impossible).

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I just had a chance to handle a Ruger ar at Bass pro shop . I will say the platform AR 15 is not for me.
Bass pro selling price was 699.00
The gun was on sale at another vendor for $479.00

pisgah

Buckeye
lonewolf5347 said:
I just had a chance to handle a Ruger ar at Bass pro shop . I will say the platform AR 15 is not for me.
Bass pro selling price was 699.00
The gun was on sale at another vendor for $479.00

In my experience, that's about the Bass Pro price ratio on everything...

Shot mine today. For me the trigger needs help, but all entry level AR's need some help. Was reliable in limited use. Just fired 2 30 round mags of basic 55gr FMJ bulk ammo. No hiccups or jams. No complaints.

Dave

ditto1958

Blackhawk
When I got mine when they first came out, it was a screamin' hot deal for $599.99. Now, when you can get them for under $500, how can you go wrong? It's a lot of bang for the buck. If you ask me, you can't go wrong. Buy one and shoot it. If you find out there's stuff you want to upgrade, the sky's the limit.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
GrabAGun.com has the RUGER AR-556 model #8500 for $465+$7.99 shipping.

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
Mine came last week, ran 20 rounds, no problems, except the trigger. I'm comfortable with my Ruger MK II's after working on the triggers, so I have ordered, replacement trigger springs and a replacement bolt for the grip, that allows me to remove the creep from the trigger. Should have everything tomorrow. Lots of videos to show how to up grade the trigger parts. Overloadded

Jcolon95

Bearcat
I bought my ruger 556 a year ago. Great rifle out of the box. I shot it with the iron sights out to 100 yards and it was very accurate. Then i added a nikon p223 3-9x40 scope. And my groups got tighter. I did however put in a new trigger . The one that came with it was about a 7 lb pull. I installed a 3.5 lb pull and my groups have gottem tighter

Always-fixin'

Bearcat
Has anyone tried polishing up the factory triggers on these rifles to see what can be done with them without spending money on it? Any known tricks with the factory triggers that might help 'em a bit? I'll likely give it a try when I get a little time, but no sense re-inventing the wheel if I don't have to.

Also, what kind of groups are y'all getting with these rifles? I plan to work up a good hand-load one of these days soon, but if a 2 moa group is all one can expect then there's not much sense bothering with wasting all the bullets and powder that will take.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I installed a Timney trigger, 3 lb., in mine. I shoot the 62 gr., M855 often. I have a target saved, pictures posted here once. 4 shots that a dime coveres, 100 yrds. My AR 556 shoots great!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I bought it new and had trouble getting it to group. Discovered barrel nut loose. Came from Ruger like that. Took it back to gunshop and dealer tightened it. I would like to buy another one.

RSIno1

Hunter
I heard they aren't mil spec so a lot of aftermarket parts don't fit. Parts have gotten real cheap. Build an AR from a kit. Even more fun start with an 80% forging.

cavediver27

Bearcat
RSIno1 said:
I heard they aren't mil spec so a lot of aftermarket parts don't fit. Parts have gotten real cheap. Build an AR from a kit. Even more fun start with an 80% forging.
For all intents and purposes, they are completely mill spec. I can verify that just about every part except for the front sight and the Delta ring are mil spec and interchangeable.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Bought one in 2014 on a sale in the $500 range. I have put a "handle" rear sight on it and a front sling attach, and a sling. So far it has been O.K. I would say the quality was less than a SR-762 I had bought earlier that year but then the price was a lot less than the SR-762 also.

bigpappa160

Bearcat
RSIno1 said:
I contacted Ruger and they said the AR556 is to mil-spec. So after market part for the Ruger will fit. If you have any question about the part if it will fit or not just ask the company rep you are buying from to see if they have parts that fit the AR556.

kmckinnon

Bearcat
I own 2. My first AR purchase was the MPR from my LGS when Ruger ran a promotion with the intro of the MPR and the price was too good to pass on. The MPR comes with Ruger's very good 2 stage trigger so no reason to upgrade. I picked up another AR556, model #8529, a flat top version with a free float handguard during another promotion. Its trigger stunk. I watched for deals on the Internet and bought an ALG ACT single stage trigger on sale. It was easy to install myself (YouTube video walked me through it) and is just what I wanted... a Duty grade trigger with a 4.5 lb pull, no creep and a nice clean break. Its a significant improvement.