Ruger AR 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan Brennan

Bearcat
Hello to all,
I went yesterday to check out the Ruger SR 22 at a local gun shop. While looking around, the store was running a FLASH SALE for that day only. It was the Ruger AR 556, a 20 round box of ammo and a free range pass. The cost was $569.99 plus tax and other fees. This was my first impulse purchase. I normally do research on a gun before I buy it but that was not the case here. I know nothing about this gun other than the features the salesman showed me. So I have a couple of questions. Did I make a good purchase and will I be happy with what I bought? Any help or information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Dan

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Did I make a good purchase and will I be happy with what I bought?

Like most things it would depend on what you intend to use the AR 556 for.

IF someone were to offer me, FREE OF CHARGE, any AR of my choice, I probably would not choose a Ruger AR 556. However, everything considered, I love mine. It does what I bought to to do just fine. Sorta like my Chevy Cruze .... I live within my means and the Cruze fits my means and serves my needs just fine.

DGW1949

Hunter
Re: "Did I make a good purchase and will I be happy with what I bought?"...

The answers to that will ultimately have to come from you, and will depend on whether or not it meets your own wants, needs, and/or expectations relative to why you bought it in the first place.
Given the above, and given that you've already said it was merely an impulse buy, my suggestion at this particular point would be to read/study the manual, do a bit of prudent cleaning 'n oiling, buy some decent ammo, and go shoot it.

After all, you've already bought it, right?....and who knows, it may just turn out that you'll absolutely love it, and if that turns out to the case, I'm purty-sure that you'll be glad you bought it.

Let us know how it goes...and BTW, welcome to the Forum.

DGW

Dan Brennan said:
Hello to all,
I went yesterday to check out the Ruger SR 22 at a local gun shop. While looking around, the store was running a FLASH SALE for that day only. It was the Ruger AR 556, a 20 round box of ammo and a free range pass. The cost was $569.99 plus tax and other fees. This was my first impulse purchase. I normally do research on a gun before I buy it but that was not the case here. I know nothing about this gun other than the features the salesman showed me. So I have a couple of questions. Did I make a good purchase and will I be happy with what I bought? Any help or information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Dan

That was an exceptional price. I wanted one for the longest time, but I had never seen one, new, for sale in any store, so I bought a used-but-unfired model, for much more than you paid.

Ironically, I've never fired it, and have actually completely lost interest in it. I've had it for sale on a local forum for $570 for quite some time, without even a sniff. Seems the Ruger's are just not accepted by the AR guys. And I don't know why. My SR-556, the piston version, is the best AR I've ever shot.

So if you found one brand-new for $569.99, including a few extra perks, I guess mine wont be soon going anywhere. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Another +1 for all the above responses. You did very well, price-wise and the added perks.

The AR556 was my first venture into the AR world as well.

Check out youtube and read the manual to learn how to take it apart and clean it. Make sure you do clean off all of Ruger's preservative/gunk/glop before trying to shoot it. Then, lubricate it with your lube of choice.

Then, have some fun shooting it with decent, brass-cased ammo. That's not to say to never use steel-cased ammo, but there have been too numerous reports of ammo issues reported to advise it to be the first ammo through the rifle for initial testing. The first couple hundred rounds should be for the rifle to get "worked in", the rifle to identify any issues and you to get familiar with how it operates.

After that, clean it up again to make sure is all good.

Shoot, clean, repeat...

Have a blast, doing it...and then, you'll want to accessorize, which is a whole other ball of wax :D

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Aqualung

hittman

Staff member
Yes, you made a good purchase. $600 out-the-door is about as good as it gets ..... at least here in the Midwest. I think it's an EXCELLENT value at $600.00.

There's a lot of lesser-quality AR's available but they too set you back close to that money.

akbluz

Blackhawk
Good score.... I think you'll enjoy your new AR556.... I picked one up last year and really like it (I too paid a bit more than you). I hope you also bought the SR22 pistol as it's a nice little firearm.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Good price for a good rifle. I bought one, paid more than that. First thing, installed a 3. Lb Timney trigger. Then I found it shoots 77 Sierra boat tails with 748 very, very well. Right now I'm zeroed at 400 yrds. You got a good deal.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Aqualung said:
Another +1 for all the above responses. You did very well, price-wise and the added perks.

The AR556 was my first venture into the AR world as well.

Check out youtube and read the manual to learn how to take it apart and clean it. Make sure you do clean off all of Ruger's preservative/gunk/glop before trying to shoot it. Then, lubricate it with your lube of choice.

Then, have some fun shooting it with decent, brass-cased ammo. That's not to say to never use steel-cased ammo, but there have been too numerous reports of ammo issues reported to advise it to be the first ammo through the rifle for initial testing. The first couple hundred rounds should be for the rifle to get "worked in", the rifle to identify any issues and you to get familiar with how it operates.

After that, clean it up again to make sure is all good.

Shoot, clean, repeat...

Have a blast, doing it...and then, you'll want to accessorize, which is a whole other ball of wax :D

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Aqualung
Aqualung, I like to follow you on here because you seem to have great firearm knowledge. But, I have to ask, what is wrong with shooting steel case ammo straight out of the chute? I owned another AR-15 long before I bought my AR-556 and all I shoot in it is Wolf steel case ammo. And, some of that same steel case ammo is what was loaded into my AR-556 on its initial shooting. It shot all 250 rounds with NO problems at all!
Just sayin'................

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Ruger Nut said:
Aqualung, I like to follow you on here because you seem to have great firearm knowledge. But, I have to ask, what is wrong with shooting steel case ammo straight out of the chute? I owned another AR-15 long before I bought my AR-556 and all I shoot in it is Wolf steel case ammo. And, some of that same steel case ammo is what was loaded into my AR-556 on its initial shooting. It shot all 250 rounds with NO problems at all!
Just sayin'................

Ruger Nut,

Well, first off, thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Second, my stating to initially start out with brass ammo is based on what I've seen reported here and on the other forums. For initial testing of anything, I like to reduce the number of variables so any unwanted results may be identified.

How many times have we seen where someone new to a platform bought a rifle, bought the cheapest ammo and had problems out of the box? Resultant first questions are whether the rifle was in clean, operable condition to start. The next question is about the ammo.

Many folks have functioning issues with steel-cased ammo. So, my advice for a new shooter is to try the rifle out with ammo that has less "questionability" surrounding it. Reduce the variability of the ammo and issues with the rifle may be identified more easily.

This goes beyond the brass/steel question, as there may be issues with brass, too.

For example, my Kahr MK9 will eat pretty much any ammo there is out there...a good thing, as it's my EDC. It chews through steel case and brass like nothing.

I once bought about 100 rounds of this cheap ammo at a gun show. They weren't reloads, but the fact they were on a blister-card instead of in a box should be an indicator. They actally choked my MK9. I gave them to a guy shooting a Beretta 92 in the next lane over and his 92 ate them up without a burp.

Up to that point, my MK9 was 100% reliable (after its 250round break-in), so I could conclude that that ammo wasn't right for my pistol. However, the guy with the 92 could shoot that stuff all day long.

So, back to my advice to the OP and to answer your question...

Lots of folks have good luck with steel-cased ammo. I don't advise against using it altogether, because many have success, as you have had.

However, if there are lots of reports of functioning issues using it and someone may be testing a rifle to ensure it functions properly, I will advise them to negate that particular variable in initial testing. Once the rifle is determined to be functional, then add in the steel-cased ammo variable and see how it works.

One could say it's my pessimistic outlook, as I'm anticipating problems and addressing them before they even occur. Comes from being a Facilities Manager for 20 years...

Full Disclosure: I've never tried steel-cased ammo in my AR556, as I'm a cheap b@$tard and scrounge up every case for reloading :D

Hopefully, that answers your question...

Aqualung

hittman

Staff member
AR's seem to be made to more specific tolerances and specs. My experience is they don't play nice with steel cased ammo.
AK's are a tad sloppy; a perfect candidate to eat, cycle, fire, shoot any of the crappiest cheapest dirtiest steel cased stuff on the planet.

That of course is my non-scientific opinion.

A constant source of amusement for a few of us locally are 2 or 3 guys who pride themselves on having $1200 to $1800 in an AR and then cheap-out on ammo and have continued problems.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
I added some insurance to my AR's. I installed the BCM Extractor Spring Upgrade Kit. With this kit, you will virtually never have another FTE while shooting steel case ammo.
Another thing, why are there so many Negative Nancy's out there about steel case ammo? Do a Google search and be amazed how many big time shooters use it and approve of it.
That's fine if you prefer not to shoot it. There will be more for me. And, I will be laughing all the way to the bank when I am saving .10 cents per round! :lol: :D :mrgreen:

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm-exspring-1.htm

Aqualung

Blackhawk
As has been mentioned before, prices run regionally.

Here in Philly, AR556s go for around $650.00 or slightly higher at the shows.

I got mine in 2015 for just under $700.

Aqualung

hittman

Staff member
Seems the urgency to own an evil black rifle is gone since about the first week of November.

I got my AR556 a year ago for $600.00 out-the-door. There are a lot of new AR's on store shelves around here. All of them very reasonably priced.

Ruger Nut

Single-Sixer
Aqualung said:

Aqualung
Look at this price!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-556-nato-161-barrel-30-rounds?p=wx2&i=643528&ecid=Email-e709fr2&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e709fr2&om_u=Ns5foN&om_i=_BYudJLB9ZENSyN&em_id=wrr01%40aol.com

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Ruger Nut said:
Aqualung said:

Aqualung
Look at this price!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-556-nato-161-barrel-30-rounds?p=wx2&i=643528&ecid=Email-e709fr2&utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e709fr2&om_u=Ns5foN&om_i=_BYudJLB9ZENSyN&em_id=wrr01%40aol.com

Yep, now is the time to buy them. There's a glut, and the panic has subsided a bit.

Aqualung

G2

Hunter
Well tonight CDNN blowing them out at $499 :shock: :shock:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-ar556-carbine.html

I agree, I really have like my early piston carbine, so haven't felt the need for a AR556 but at that price might just have to pull the trigger. :roll:

Not sure AR15 prices have hit bottom yet. AR556 pricing is under $500.00 on numerous websites and locally, one large dealer has over 100 used AR's...they are getting ready to stop taking them in trade or buying them back.

Latest posts