Ruger AR-556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Just picked up a new Ruger AR-556. Right out of the box with protective greasy stuff still on it!

I was a bit late to the AR-15 party. My tastes run to walnut and blued steel and guns with levers underneath them. But when my department trained us with AR-15s and put them in the squad cars, I decided I should really have one.

While the AR-15 market seems to be filled to its maximum capacity, I know that just isn't true. There are new shooters every day and they're looking for these kinds of firearms. When they walk into a gun store looking for an AR or they read about ARs in gun magazines or online, they all start to look the same.

There are three things that will make this new Ruger AR-556 sell like ice water in a desert oasis.

1) Price. Ruger has everyone else beaten...badly. This gun is the most inexpensive AR there is and it has great features included.

2) Quality. Ruger's reputation for quality and warranty (if needed) is highly regarded by its customers.

3) American made by an American company. I know other company's make their ARs here in the US, but there profit goes back to another country. There are those who still buy stuff that is Made in the USA. I believe that credo is strong in the gun buying consumer world.

I am sure this Ruger will be reliable and accurate.

I really like the "feel" of this gun. The longish barrel with the shorter hand guard feels really good. I like the larger trigger guard for shooting with gloves. The Ruger branded grip feels perfect. No finger grooves that don't match up to big hands like mine. The rear sight is really good. It snaps up when you press the release button on the side. When it flips up, it is in place perfectly. There is no small to large aperture change, just one hole that seems great for short and long distance shots. The Magpul back up sights made of plastic don't work well for me. When I press the release, the sight doesn't snap up into position all the way. I have to manually pull it up all the way. The aperture always falls halfway between the small and larger and I have to use fine motor skill fingertip movement to move that little sight to where I need it to be. The Magpul BUS feel cheap to me. This Ruger rear sight flips up to its fully extended position and stays there. Often for me, AR rear sights don't provide me with a full circular aperture either for some reason. There seems to be flat spots or side indentations to my eye. This Ruger rear sight provides me with a full, perfect circle. Nice!

I'm excited to shoot it!

(By the way, the Ruger label on the barrel is a plastic "snap on" cover. I suppose at a gun store, having this rifle behind the counter in a display rack with the plastic do-hicky on the barrel will let everyone know that particular rifle is a RUGER! Sort of smart of Ruger to do I would say! All of these ARs look the same anyway.)

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
I think Ruger is gonna have a winner with this one!
I haven't joined the AR party yet but I've started to think about getting one, and I am one of those who doesn't want all the tactical stuff,
just a gun for plinking at the range.
There is a definite market for lower-priced ARs where the S&W M&P Sport dominates.
Ruger's entry is really going to give S&W some competition.
Thanks for posting, looking forward to a range report!

dougader

Hunter
I dunno... but if this had been out earlier I might have picked up one of these instead of dropping extra $$$ on a Colt LE 6920 with the Magpul furniture...

gunsbam69

Hunter
I've got a friend who'll be building me an A2 stocked flat top in .204 once he gets his company logo receivers in. I never really gave a lot of thought to AR rifles myself until the last few years. It's now my opinion that ALL OF US need one of these in the truck and in the house, and wallah, Ruger gets in the affordable game. I think this is just great. Thanks for sharing the pics :!:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Busterswoodshop, no it's not rust. Phew! Sorry about that. I took the photos before I cleaned all of the shipping preservative off gunk off. I think that picture just got a bad angle and it does look rather rusty/icky. The rifle is pristine!

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I thought something like that was the case.
I would hate to think Ruger would let it go like that.

All my AR's are made by Colt.
I think my next one will be a Ruger.

gunsbam69

Hunter
I think once I start getting these in I'm gonna keep one as is and turn a 2nd one into a .204 Ruger with a longer barrel and a scope.

callshot

Blackhawk
A friend and I each got one of those. He has shot his and it is a shooter. I haven't had time or place to shoot mine. Seems promising.

sixshot

Buckeye
I just picked up one of the Ruger AR-556's after not owning a long gun for over 20 years. I decided with all the crazy stuff you see on the news everyday it was time to own at least one good fighting gun. I've really been surprised with the accuracy of the little semi auto, I never dreamed they could shoot like this. I'm not using a small base die, just regular Horandy 223 dies & its never make a burp yet.
My handload is a Speer 50 gr. TNT HP, I've always liked these bullets for prairie dogs & ground squirrels. My choice of powder is 26 grs. of BLC2 & a SR primer. After getting on paper with a nifty little .222" group kneeling at about 40 yds. I put up a target at 100 yds in the snow & 21 degree weather. Just using a front sand bag & no rear bag I thing I've picked a winner. If there's a better AR out there for the money somebody will have to show it to me.

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Dixieboy, I've got some loaded with both but I haven't shot any of the standard primers yet. The reason I loaded some with mag primers is some of the manuals used them with BLC2 & some didn't. I'll see in a few days if there's any difference. As cold as its been here maybe I'll see some difference.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
GASP!!!!!!!!!!!! sixshot with a long gun again! :D

I swear Dick,,, you & I have similar brain waves. After a stint in the Army where I got to play with M-16's & all, I did buy myself an AR-15 Colt way back in the early 80's. Needed money, wasn't really into that gun much, so it went down the road. Then, I won a gift certificate at a USPSA match (RO drawing) from DPMS & wound up with my second AR-15. Never shot it,,, and sold it too.

But,,, right after Newtown's horrible shooting & the crazy political attitude,,, I decided that if I ever got another one,,, I'd keep it, just to have a politically incorrect rifle. Well a few months later, I won a Stag Arms AR-15 at my FoNRA event. I figured on keeping this one,,, just to have, just in case.
When Ruger introduced the SR-556,,, I helped my son get one. And it's a SWEET!!!!!!! A buddy of mine was looking at getting himself an AR-15 & had a lower budget,,, and I recommended the Ruger AR-15 like yours. Quality & accuracy seem to be the norm!

I also use BL-C2 powder in mine & my .222 bull barreled gun. My choice of bullet is a Hornady 55 grn SX. Small critters do not stand a chance.