Ruger AR 556, QD swivel.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
I recently purchased a Ruger AR 556, I ordered QD swivels for it. They won't stay attached, & come out with very little force. I made sure that they were fully seated, but just swinging the rifle to my shoulder will pull it out. Has anyone else had this problem? I noticed that Ruger has a swivel adapter ,that attaches to the handguard, but are out of stock.

Since I don't have an AR 556, I have to ask if these are the "push the button in the middle and the little balls retract" which releases the swivel from the socket? I've had problems with the imported knock off studs not seating properly or becoming wedged once seated in domestic name brand sockets.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
Since I don't have an AR 556, I have to ask if these are the "push the button in the middle and the little balls retract" which releases the swivel from the socket? I've had problems with the imported knock off studs not seating properly or becoming wedged once seated in domestic name brand sockets.
Yes, it is as you describe, these were Grov Tec, which is the brand that Ruger has on their web site.

9x19

Hunter
The compatibility issue between brands that I've encountered is the depth of the socket vs the length of the swivel cylinder. Too shallow/long and the balls in the swivel don't reach the groove in the socket.

"Too shallow/long and the balls in the swivel don't reach the groove in the socket."

Yes, that's the basic issue. Some of the sockets have a screw that retains them to the stock. I had one stock which was problematic. Some fiddling revealed the screw was impinging into the socket just far enough to contact the swivel base preventing full engagement of the retaining balls. Removing the screw and adding a small washer fixed the problem.

Virginia Boy

Bearcat
I just received the MagPul, QD swivel, & it is a little better than the GrovTec, but not good enough. I think that the trouble is in the rifle & not the swivels. Why else would Ruger be selling a kit that attaches to the hand guard. This is another case of changing something that works, to something that doesn't. I am thinking about putting a little JB Weld on it & making it permanent.