Ruger announces release of Deerfield Carbine in 357 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heisenberg

Bearcat
SHOOTER said:
Yeah. But Ruger would have to specify 357 mag only and then probably only certain factory loads.
Not sure I follow, manufactures already specify caliber/cartridge type, why wouldn't that apply?
Same for "certain loads"

I can think of any number of them from the original Deerfield that specified 240gr to a modern CMR30 that specifies 40gr. Most firearms have sweet spots in terms of ideal cartridge for reliable feeding & function, many others due to accuracy (e.g. twist rates in modern AR15's). Even fixed sight revolvers are optimized for conventional 158gr, once you start going up or down in weight you have to adjust your POA to compensate.

By far the most common weight for 357 Magnum is 158gr, followed a distant second by 125gr, followed even further by other weights. A modern Deerfield optimized for 158gr is going to cover the bulk of people interested in such, modern engineering would likely make it function with 125gr as well. My semi-auto Coonans function 100% with either weight, as well as the majority of other weights. Heck with a simple spring swap they can even fire 38 Special. No reason a 357 Deerfield couldn't be tweaked as well.
:)

Heisenberg

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
...and of course they could even improve the design with a better stock and a 10 shot magazine.

I like the compact nature of a flush-fit 5 shot Deerfield and would be perfectly content with one.

Not going to get a 10 shot rotary, at least not a reliable one, nor do I think Ruger would take on the expense of such a massive redesign. On the other hand I could see a 3rd party taking on such. Coonan made a 7-round single stack that i believe could work using an insert, easily T&E'd with todays 3D printers. No clue if the 7-round could be taken all the way to 10 as the cartridges start to get a pretty good rake on them.

Ten rounds of 357 Magnum in a semi-auto Carbine would be a formidable package 8)

mac66

Single-Sixer
Heisenberg said:
mac66 said:
Id rather see an American ranch rifle bolt gun in 357/44 mag than a semi auto.
Good for you
You should start a thread suggesting that
:wink:

I'm just saying....It's more likely to happen than some pie in the sky fantasy semi auto 357. :wink:

On the other hand perhaps Ruger would come out with a Mini 14 in 350 Legend. The Mini is what the Deerfield was based on.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
mac66 said:
Heisenberg said:
I'm just saying....It's more likely to happen than some pie in the sky fantasy semi auto 357
Care to explain?
Especially since the design is decades proven, and major components are in production today.

On the other hand perhaps Ruger would come out with a Mini 14 in 350 Legend. The Mini is what the Deerfield was based on.
Ahhh no, it was 'based on' its predecessor, the Model 44 Deerstalker, which predated the Mini by close to a decade.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I tried to resist...
The Deerfeild has nothing in common engineering wise, with the '60s 44rifle/carbine. Just the caliber, and even then the "Deerstalker" design was engineered around a single bullet style and weight.

The Deerfeild is a modified Mini 14 action.

mac66

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
I tried to resist...
The Deerfeild has nothing in common engineering wise, with the '60s 44rifle/carbine. Just the caliber, and even then the "Deerstalker" design was engineered around a single bullet style and weight.

Yeah, this^^^^^^^^^

And even so, you are more likely (however slim the chance) to get a Mini in 350 Legend than in 357 mag. Ruger already makes their AR in 350L so it is unlikely they will offer it up in the Mini platform. I think mags would be an issue unless Ruger is willing to design the Mini to use AR mags I don't see it happening.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
I tried to resist...
The Deerfeild has nothing in common engineering wise
I didn't say a word about 'engineering wise'.

with the '60s 44rifle/carbine. Just the caliber,
Even Ruger's own period literature stated it was its successor and an improved version

and even then the "Deerstalker" design was engineered around a single bullet style and weight.
How is that relevant?

Clearly you've never had the two side by side
You seem to imply that that they share a common receiver, slide, bolt, etc, just modified.
They do not

:D

Heisenberg

Bearcat
mac66 said:
mohavesam said:
And even so, you are more likely (however slim the chance) to get a Mini in 350 Legend than in 357 mag. Ruger already makes their AR in 350L so it is unlikely they will offer it up in the Mini platform. I think mags would be an issue unless Ruger is willing to design the Mini to use AR mags I don't see it happening.

Maybe you should start a thread about a Mini in 350 Legend :wink:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Heisenberg said:
mac66 said:
mohavesam said:

Maybe you should start a thread about a Mini in 350 Legend :wink:

Strange, but I didn't write that... plenty of confusion in this thread.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Heisenberg said:
Jimbo357mag said:
...and of course they could even improve the design with a better stock and a 10 shot magazine.

I like the compact nature of a flush-fit 5 shot Deerfield and would be perfectly content with one.

Not going to get a 10 shot rotary, at least not a reliable one, nor do I think Ruger would take on the expense of such a massive redesign. On the other hand I could see a 3rd party taking on such. Coonan made a 7-round single stack that i believe could work using an insert, easily T&E'd with todays 3D printers. No clue if the 7-round could be taken all the way to 10 as the cartridges start to get a pretty good rake on them.

Ten rounds of 357 Magnum in a semi-auto Carbine would be a formidable package 8)
There was a guy that used to sell a 7 round hybrid magazine for the Deerfield made from a Desert Eagle mag stuck into a Ruger rotary mag. It worked well and required no mods to the rifle.

Here is a weird 10 shot 96-44. Could work for a Deerfield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-RtAWJJL-c

mac66

Single-Sixer
Heisenberg said:
mohavesam said:
I tried to resist...
The Deerfeild has nothing in common engineering wise
I didn't say a word about 'engineering wise'.

with the '60s 44rifle/carbine. Just the caliber,
Even Ruger's own period literature stated it was its successor and an improved version

and even then the "Deerstalker" design was engineered around a single bullet style and weight.
How is that relevant?

Clearly you've never had the two side by side
You seem to imply that that they share a common receiver, slide, bolt, etc, just modified.
They do not

:D

Clearly, the Deerfield is based on the Mini 14 action.

Old Ruger carbine on top. Deerfield on the bottom

The Deerfield uses the open top receiver, exposed rotating bolt and gas system of the Mini 14. Not to mention a detachable mag instead of the internal tube mag on the Deerstalker/44 Carbine.

Could they make one in 357mag? Probably. Would they? Probably not, that day has passed. As I said the 350 Legend is a better candidate in that it would fit the current dimensions of the Mini 14 and could use AR mags. I would guess that would also be unlikely since they already make a 350L in the AR platform which is much cheaper to produce than the Mini.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I had one of these for a few years. It was a nice little gun. Accuracy was fine with a variety of 240 grain factory loads. Sold it because I wanted something different. That may have been a mistake. I think they could bring it back in .44 Mag, 10 mm & .357 mag. It would still make a nice short-range deer & hog rifle, and wouldn't suck for dissuading troublesome black bears, or for home defense, if you prefer a carbine.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Colonel Daddy said:
Have always wondered why someone didn't build a modern autoloader in .357 mag to fill the gap left by the obsolete .351 Self-Loading Winchester Model 07.

Now they have, it's called an AR in 350 Legend. :wink: Soft shooting, better ballistics than a 357 mag/maximum and 351 Win and equal to a 35 Rem.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
A SS Synthetic would be nice and a 350 Legend killer with some factory and most handloads. 357 125gr JHP will easily do 2,200 fps plus.

A 44 using factory 180 gr pills will make 2,200 fps all day long with flame left.

USAFA71

Bearcat
Not to be a kill-joy, but I'll take mine in 41 Magnum. Should work with the 44 Mag magazine with a different follower. More power than the 357, less recoil than the 44 Magnum- my favorite caliber. I also realize the chances are about zero. But I can wish!

harley08

Blackhawk
My husband would love to have one of those in .44 Magnum along with a 77/44! Those are two he always kicks himself for not getting them when you saw them regularly, that plus a Number 1 in .45-70.
Hi Wendy, I just found a Ruger .44 Carbine. This gun is almost brand new, but it was made in 1966.
He should find an older Ruger .44 Carbine. I am sure he would love it. (I luv mine)

Latest posts