Ruger announces release of Deerfield Carbine in 357 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heisenberg

Bearcat
And then I woke up...... :(

So where is our modern Deerfield chambered in 357 & 44?

- The design & engineering has already been done
- Rotary mags for both calibers are in production
- Barrels for both calibers are in production (77 series)
- Stocks are in production (need some minor tweaking)
Modern CAD & production would make short work of a new receiver, bolt, op-rods, etc, and not cost Ruger a heck of a lot.

With the current restrictions and upcoming bans, mag limits, etc, I would think a modernized Deefield would be a no-brainer for Ruger.
PCC's are very popular currently, but only in low powered cartridges
Lots of ban states with mag restrictions, and many more coming
A 357 semi-auto carbine would make an outstanding home defense gun, even with just 5 rounds

I believe a 16" Deerfield with a short toprail where the rear peep is (or better still pre-milled for popular MRD sights) poly side rail on the stock for a light, especially if done in stainless, would be a seller for them. I would be all over a stainless pair with poly-stock, most of the guys I know talk about how they would love a modernized one in 357 for both defense and hunting, and quite a few family members that own old ones in 44 drool over a 357 Magnum version.

Deerfield.jpg

Deerfield-spread.jpg

I'm on board with one for sure and would love to see it in .44 also so I don't have to hunt up an older one. What problems, if any, caused them to go out of production to begin with? Seems they were only around for 5-6 years at best? I'm not into black stocks, still would like S/S but with wood.

My husband would love to have one of those in .44 Magnum along with a 77/44! Those are two he always kicks himself for not getting them when you saw them regularly, that plus a Number 1 in .45-70.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
Ohio Mega Bass T/T said:
I'm on board with one for sure and would love to see it in .44 also so I don't have to hunt up an older one. What problems, if any, caused them to go out of production to begin with? Seems they were only around for 5-6 years at best? I'm not into black stocks, still would like S/S but with wood.

No reason they can't make both poly and wood as they do for many of their lines.
The only reason I would prefer poly is a location for a small 3-4 slot removeable side-rail to attach a light. I love my CX4 Storm and I think its individual side rails are perfect, which would be nice on a modernized Deerfield for home defense. Such a carbine would be an ideal multi-purpose firearm, home defense, hunting, game control, utility, and just fun :D

The receiver set up with a small rail section or pre-milled for MRDS where the original peep sight was located would be AWSOME. You could use a peep, open sights, or a small dot.

RAIL.jpg

Heisenberg

Bearcat
Jeepnik said:
Make that in .45acp and they likely couldn't keep up with demand.
Misses the mark as Ruger isn't making rotary mags, barrels, etc, in 45
Nor was the Deerfield ever designed for the 45
Thus it would be an entirely new firearm

The whole point is that Ruger is already making a large portion of the components needed to make a modernized Deerfield, plus the design/engineering has already been done and is well proven.

20+ year old Deerfields/stalkers/99's sell regularly into the low $1000's so there is a market.
With the vastly more popular 357 Magnum I believe they would sell even better.
JMO :D

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
The Deerfield was designed for hunting. No one hunts (animals) with a 45 acp.

pete44ru

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
Make that in .45acp and they likely couldn't keep up with demand.

I would think Ruger would hesitate, given that Marlin made enough .45ACP carbines from 1986-99 to satisfy the demand for another couple of hundred years....

FergusonTO35

Hunter
One problem I see with the Deerfield, is that many if not most folks who hunt deer with .357/.41/.44 are handloaders. Meaning, a wide variety of velocity and bullet weight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always read that Deerfields choke and/or have poor accuracy with anything but standard factory ammo with 240 grain bullets or equivalent reloads.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
One problem I see with the Deerfield, is that many if not most folks who hunt deer with .357/.41/.44 are handloaders. Meaning, a wide variety of velocity and bullet weight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have always read that Deerfields choke and/or have poor accuracy with anything but standard factory ammo with 240 grain bullets or equivalent reloads.

The Deerfield was optimized for 240gr, the calibers sweet spot IMO. I've never seen or heard of an accuracy issue but really light loads may result in not fully cycling the action, while really heavy loads may not fit the chamber. That said, the Deerfield was and is extremely popular among hunters.

And a Deerfield in 357 Magnum optimized for 158gr would be about as perfect as one could ask. For hunting, self defense, hogs, pest control, and general fun.....it would be perfect! :)

I tried to give my 45 camp carbine to a good friend and we got into a nasty battle over it... I finally agreed I would take $350 or it just to make him happy and in the end he insisted I take $500. (I'm not making this up)

But a 357 semi auto would be interesting... but I dought Ruger will ever go to the trouble unless their research dept figures out if enough 'regular' folks will buy it. Maybe if a full blown assault rifle ban comes around and the Deerfield is excluded.

Heisenberg

Bearcat
blume357 said:
I tried to give my 45 camp carbine to a good friend and we got into a nasty battle over it... I finally agreed I would take $350 or it just to make him happy and in the end he insisted I take $500. (I'm not making this up)

But a 357 semi auto would be interesting... but I dought Ruger will ever go to the trouble unless their research dept figures out if enough 'regular' folks will buy it. Maybe if a full blown assault rifle ban comes around and the Deerfield is excluded.

Considering how much folks are willing to pay for a used one in 44 Mag, a relativly unpopular cartridge.
I'm sure a modernized 357 Magnum (a much more popular caliber) would be multitudes more desirable and sell like crazy.
Especially for when the AWB comes.....and sadly it will.

There was a thread the other day on another forum that essentially asked "What is your dream gun"
About a third of the respondents said "A semi-auto 357 Carbine" :D

Heisenberg

Bearcat
SHOOTER said:
Man!!!' You sure had me with that post title !

Sounds awesome doesn't it :D
Similar size and weight to the M1 Carbine (which I love BTW)
Just as handy but modernized for a rear mount MRDS
Better magazines
Spectacular ballistics
Better projectile selection
And great partner to a revolver

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
...and of course they could even improve the design with a better stock and a 10 shot magazine.

I also think the lever action 96-44 is a much handier rifle, shoots anything, and would make a great 357 mag also.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Id rather see an American ranch rifle bolt gun in 357/44 mag than a semi auto.

Latest posts