Ruger Announces New Model Blackhawk and GP100 In .327 Fed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender85

Single-Sixer
Boxhead":dvgct0et said:
A 48 oz 32 cal. I think I will pass.

Hadn't given any thought to that but you're right....it will be a heavy one!

tek4260":dvgct0et said:
Great!! I am calling my dealer in an hour and ordering the BFR in 475!! I'll pass on Rugers new offering.

Sounds like a plan, I've been looking at those BFR 480/475's myself and it dont look like Ruger's gonna give us one :roll:

gak

Buckeye
I posted almost simultaneously in the other related thread this was going to be heavy...despite the two extra holes...if the same basic frame limited run .32-30/.32 H&R convertible Vaquero a few years back--also 5.5" stainless--is any indication...and it should be darn close. It was a tank. Sure wish it'd been a mid-frame (7 in .327, 6 in .32-20?)) and/or Single Six. Looks like enthusiasm for both of the latter platforms has gone un-noticed--at least for the time being.

A

Anonymous

So......this is the 'mystery gun(s)' that Ruger is coming out with?

I am glad I sold my RGR stock... :roll:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I love it. I have been shooting one for a few days now. This is my favorite part:

DSC09910.JPG

If you want to see a review, instead of just a press release, look here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm

ebg3

Bearcat
Jeff Quinn":39qsw6ji said:
I love it. I have been shooting one for a few days now. This is my favorite part:

DSC09910.JPG

If you want to see a review, instead of just a press release, look here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm
Accuracy does look good. Are the loads in the 115-120gr range and 1500-1600fps range excessively loud? That may sound silly but I know the .357 has a bad rep. for being ear-splitting loud. I'm just wondering if you carried the new .327BH and wanted to take impromptu shots at game, would you regret not having plugs in? Thanks,
Eddie

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
It is not as loud as a .357 magnum, but it is loud. Even a .22 LR will hurt your ears, and do permanent damage.

When the .327 was introduced back in 2007, I did some tests, comparing the noise to a .357 magnum, and posted this in the review:

"With all of the negative comments early on from folks who have never fired the cartridge, there was a few things that I particularly wanted to test; those being muzzle blast, recoil, and penetration. I compared the muzzle blast of the .327 Federal Magnum to the .357 Magnum fired from guns with equal length barrels. I used for this test two Ruger SP101 revolvers, identical except for the cartridge. Holding the decibel meter beside the shooter's head, the readings seem close, with the .327 registering 120db and the .357 reading 124db. However, decibel readings are logarithmic instead of linear, and 124db is noticeably louder than a reading of 120db. The .327 Federal Magnum does indeed have less muzzle blast than does the .357 Magnum, at least using factory loads with the same bullets weights. "

Now, the heavier bullet loads are not as loud as the factory AE 100 grain, but still loud enough the ear protection is a good idea.

Jeff

REP1954

Blackhawk
I'm going to listen to my mother this time and not say anything on the two new products but it isnt going to be easy.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
REP1954":s17ru3n9 said:
I'm going to listen to my mother this time and not say anything on the two new products but it isnt going to be easy.

You can do it. Be strong. Your mother would be proud of you!

Remember, there is no requirement that anyone has to buy one of these. It is totally optional. Nobody likes every new product that is introduced. If we all liked the same things, what fun would that be?

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
jeff, did you happen to try them out w/ .32 h&r mag rounds? curious as to how it would shoot the shorter cartridge. looks like a substantial velocity advantage w/ the 5 1/2" barrel

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
rugerlovah":coblw7vh said:
jeff, did you happen to try them out w/ .32 h&r mag rounds? curious as to how it would shoot the shorter cartridge. looks like a substantial velocity advantage w/ the 5 1/2" barrel

I fired some just for function, but did no accuracy testing with the shorter cartridges.

Wow! I for one would love to have an 8 round Blackhawk. I'm also glad they didn't stick a short barrel on the .327, I haven't shot that caliber yet, but I'm excited. 2010 will be a year for a new Blackhawk for me.

Contender is right, thanks for the testing Jeff, I'm sure you enjoy your work.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I, for one, really like the Blackhawk in .327. It will be on the purchase list for 2010.

Now if we can get ATK to actually produce some .327 ammo we will be all set.

Cordite