Ruger American Rimfire Scout/LTR/Utility Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I seem to have a "thing" for having both a receiver sight and an optic mounted on some rifles. I went to a lot of trouble to do that with one of my 10/22's, back before you could buy a rail with an integrated peep sight. Ended up having to machine a Volquartsen extended rail to fit backwards over a Tech Sights rear sight.

For the American, I've been able to do this with a conglomeration of off the shelf parts. I started with the 18" compact model, fitted with the tall but short stock module. First came the EGW picatinny rail, micro red dot and some testing. Then I set about figuring out what I could do for sights, with the idea that all I needed was a short rail mounted to the front screws to utilize the micro red dot. I didn't like the dedicated offerings from Williams. Didn't like how far forward the Tech Sights rear sight mounted. Any of the AR style folding sights are going to be way too tall. I tried the NECG Weaver style rear sight on the EGW rail but it interfered with the bolt handle. By chance, I have a CZ Scorpion pistol laying around and remembered that it had a low mounted set of sights. I popped it on the RAR and it fit perfectly. Not only does it have nice adjustments but it also has four different apertures. No bolt handle interference. I ordered a replacement from CZ and moved on to the front sight. Here I used a Marble's ramp that is .220" tall and made for a 0.625" diameter barrel. I used the original Ruger screw because it has the proper 6-40 pitch, whereas the Marble's screw is 6-48. Filed a little off the head so it would sit flush and attached a Tech Sights 10/22 front tower. It all works perfectly and offers a lower 1/3 co-witness, if you're into that sort of thing. Only bummer is that the CZ sights can only be bought as a set and they're $150. There's an aftermarket set available for much less but they were out of stock and as such, are untested for this application.

IMG_0513b.jpg

IMG_0514b.jpg

IMG_0515b.jpg

IMG_0516b.jpg

Seems like a lot of effort and $$ but if that's what trips your trigger-OK.
I put trust in the optics I install and usually dispense with other "encumberances" mounted to the barrel.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Very little trouble and the aftermarket Scorpion rear sight would be fairly cheap. The whole point is to have a suppressor-ready utility rifle that functions at all times. I love red dots and have a bunch of `em but they're not infallible. I had the Vortex Strikefire on my AR give up the ghost about two years ago and I replaced it with an Aimpoint. I don't want to put a $500 Aimpoint on this particular rifle. Some folks don't mind putting all their faith in an optic but I like having a backup plan, at least on some rifles.

I went to a whole lot more trouble on this one, back before you could buy a rail with an integrated peep sight.

IMG_7262b.jpg

mac66

Single-Sixer
Nice set up. I've been waiting on those CZ aftermarket sights to come in.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Yep, the LPA set looks promising and is only $30.

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/18002_Scorpion-Evo-3-S1-Lpa-Adj-Sights

Mobuck said:
Seems like a lot of effort and $$ but if that's what trips your trigger-OK.
I put trust in the optics I install and usually dispense with other "encumberances" mounted to the barrel.
And some folks might be interested in getting a peep sight on their American Rimfire.