Ruger American Ranch Ammo Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nekvermont

Buckeye
Hi, Rifle is a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 NATO. Twist rate 1:8. I have only fired .223, mostly 55gr FMJ through this rifle, because I have a lot. My question is ... are there any benefits to shooting 5.56 vs. .223 especially related to accuracy? I'm kind of guessing something a little heavier than 55gr would potentially be a little more accurate, would that be right?
Thanks

Not really. This whole .223/5.56 thing has gotten out of hand. In 'some cases' it's more of a labeling/marketing ploy than anything else. In some cases, there may be a slight variation in the actual loading specs. Some 5.56 loads may be listed as 100+fps faster than .223 but this may or may not result in noticeable improvement in accuracy.
I shoot Hornady/Frontier 55 grain HP 'match' ammo in 3 flavors (steel match, .223 labelled, and 5.56 labelled) and don't see any diff at normal ranges. Often not even a change in POI.
Accuracy based on bullet weight is questionable. Your 1:8 twist should produce acceptable accuracy with bullets from 40 to 68/69 grains. This covers the majority of 'need' parameters. Heavier bullets MAY buck wind better and/or retain a bit more accuracy at extreme ranges BUT this is usually only a 'need' for those shooting the .223 at very long range at paper targets.
Don't get bogged down with bullet weight concerns unless you're a long range paper shooter.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
No one can answer your question, as no one but you has your rifle. There are 5.56 and .223 loads using a wide variety of bullet weights and types. Try as many as you can and you will find your rifle's favorite. Theoretically, a heavier bullet should be more accurate -- but rifles are individuals, just like people, so only experimentation will give you your answer.

Smuttyz

Bearcat
The 5.56 RAR will shoot sub-MOA using 68-85 gr H BC bullets from 25-600 yards. 1"-1.2" 3 shot groups @ 500 yards on a good calm day. 5.56 provides better velocities out of the 16" barrel. For example: Sig Sauer 77 gr .223 vs Sig's 5.56, 2020 (.223) vs 2570 (5.56) FPS in velocity. Accuracy of the .223 round is still sub-MOA but @ extended ranges the .223 lacks accuracy as the BC is effected by lower FPS, hence the bullet is impacted by environmental conditions longer.

I like my ugly, noisy built like a tank 10 round darn at times precision RAR. Rides in my truck and is loaded with Barnes 85 gr or Sig Sauer 77 OTM 5.56 BTHP. The 55/62 gr BTHP or BT are great for 300 yards and in, Frontier/PMC/others fill this range. Higher BC hence weight covers me for close in > 600 yards.

A new comer for me @ a great price is AAC 75 gr, $12 a box. Palmetto makes these and the 77 gr @ $15. @ 500 yards 5 shots, 1" plate swung 3 time and twisted 1 time. Haven't put it on paper yet @ 500.

Norma Golden Target 77 gr is listed as .223 but it's not, it shows pressure signs in my .223 Savage 1:8 twist. FPS out of the RAR is = to all 5.56 77 gr pills tested and its very accurate, when on sale buy it, you won't be disappointed with 2525 FPS out a 16" runway.

Ensure free float, trigger to less than 1lbs and enjoy! Best inexpensive accurate rifle with factory ammo I have ever owned by far. One day Ms. Ugly (my RARs name) will get a used "Sister Ho" with a 20" varmint Shaw 5r barrel, 750-800 yards will be the goal. You can't go wrong with a stock RAR, it's that accurate and fun to shoot in any scenario and I'm a Savage/Bergara man!

Buck7144

Bearcat
5.56 ammunition cases are thicker, the dimensions around the neck are very slightly different but the SAMI pressure on the 5.56 is much higher than on a .223, hence the reason for the thicker case. If your barrel is a .223, accuracy will be slightly better with a .223 round vice versa on the 5.56. These barrels on the ranch rifles and modern Rufger rifles most likely would not be affected by the extra pressure but old mini 14's should NEVER be fired with 5.56 ammunition if their barrel says .223. When those were first built they were thin walled and the 5.56 was not a common round, military only and the .223 was almost a wildcat round that had only become popular since the early-mid 60's , sort of like the .221 fireball.

New member, did not know the forum existed until just now, been on the other Ruger Forum for years! If your going for super accuracy, match the cartridge to the barrel. My .300BO loves Lancer 10 round magazines and with the right ammo shoots 1/2 to 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. God bless Ruger!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
There can be enough of a difference in the two that .223 REM marked rifles should not shoot 5.56X45mm factory ammo. There are some flavors of OEM ammo where there is little to no difference. It's kind of a blanket question. Many of us reload so the point is moot. I decided to keep all my eggs in one basket so all my data and all my brass is based on 5.56X45 NATO. I do not own a loaded round or piece of brass from .223 REM, mostly so that I have as much consistency as possible.